Could not mount compressed loopback [SOLVED]

Guest bjt

Hi all,

I'm having a hell of a time trying to get Mandriva 2007 Free installed. I've been running 10.1 from a PATA drive, but I bought a new SATA drive so thought I'd give 2007 a go.

I keep getting the dreaded "could not mount compressed loopback" message, which appears after you select "Installation" at the welcome screen. I've done some searching and found the most common reason for this error is a corrupt ISO, but i have definitely ruled this out. I haven't been able to find much else on this, so I'm hoping you guys can help me. I'm starting to wonder if it's a hardware issue, I'm using a Gigabyte GA-K8NS Ultra-939 board.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated, because I am a little hooked on Mandriva but still am a noob. I'd love to get it up and running. Thanks......

Edited by bjt

OK...... I'm now typing from the Mandriva 2007 OS, fully installed. After trying a plethora of stupid things (installing new DVD-ROM, disabling usb devices and plug n play in bios...... etc) I thought i would go back and examine the installation options. Turns out the installation was defaulting to a 64 bit install (I run an AMD64). I already had 32 bit Windows installed on another partition, so I changed the Mandriva installation to 32 bit. Then wouldn't you guess it, no more error message, and installation went through without a hitch. It's always those damn minor details you need to look out for...... hope this helps you all.

Must say im impressed with 2007, was worth the extra effort.

bjt

I have been having the same problem on my A64 N-Force 4 system, but just assumed it was a just bad ISO.

Is there a command to force installation of 32 bit version? I saw no option for it during setup, which seemed kinda dumb considering the 32 bit version works as good or better than 64 bit on 64 bit systems (at least with SUSE).

Thanks in advance and congrats on figuring out the problem. I suspected this might be the problem but don't know how to force 32 bit.

I think when you get the menu, before choosing Installation from the boot menu on the CD, you can choose other options and pass other parameters such as that to use the 32 bit install, instead of it auto-detecting for 64 bit.

You can set the 32 bit option during the graphical install. At the welcome screen (where you choose"Installation" or "Boot from Hard Drive" ..... etc), there are a few options along the bottom of the screen. You can set it from there.

It's easy to overlook this. Would be a good idea in the future to make this option more visibile.

Cheers,

bjt

Edited by bjt