CUPS install problems

jbuckley2004

Just three weeks ago I successfully installed the printer drivers I needed using the hplip-1.7.1.run executable, and was happily printing on a remote hp printer on my wife's windows box. For other reasons I re-installed Mandriva 2007, got everything else up to snuff, and tried to re-installed the HP driver. Found that there's a new installer, hplip-1.7.2.run.

I re-installed CUPS and follows, is the proof:

$ rpm -qa | grep cups

cups-1.2.4-1.1mdv2007.0

libgnomecups-0.2.2-3mdv2007.0

cups-common-1.2.4-1.1mdv2007.0

libcups2-1.2.4-1.1mdv2007.0

libgnomecups-1.0_1-0.2.2-3mdv2007.0

libcups2-devel-1.2.4-1.1mdv2007.0

When I execute hplip-1.7.2.run, it unpacks, starts, verifies the environment, and tells me that cups (required) is not installed. It tries, and fails, to install it from the available media (which had been set up by easy-urpmi, btw).

So I check that cups is installed (it is, according to the MCC), rinse, repeat, and I even turn on the CUPS system service. The installer still comes back saying that cups is not installed, and that it can't install it.

(And for what it's worth, the old installer, hplip-1.7.1.run, now fails with the terse message "extraction failed").

Has anyone else experienced (and hopefully solved) this problem?

Thanks in advance

Did you check what version of CUPS is required? It may be that it's looking for either an older or newer version(s), and since it doesn't find that version(s) it thinks it's not there (this is my best guess based on the info).

If you set up Easy-Urpmi with the link at the top of this page, you can install hplip-1.6.12-1 with your package manager or urpmi.

If you would rather have hplip-1.7.1 installed, I would suggest you d/l the file again because your “extraction failed" message could mean a corrupt file.

Thanks for the replies.

Tyme, I started with cups 1.2.4, and because there was an earlier version available, took your suggestion and tried it with cups 1.2.3. It installed, but hplip 1.7.2 still complained that it wasn't.

So I removed all the cups versions and libraries and re-installed the later version, but as I expected, that didn't work either. I start to believe that there's a bug in the hplip-1.7.2.run script, which prevents it from recognizing that cups is installed (and incidentally, it correctly found that cups-devel was not installed, and was able to install that image. Go figure.).

So, Greg, I took your advice - you'd think that I would have looked in the repos for hplip *first*. I didn't see version 1.6.12, but version 1.6.9 just installed.

Hopefully, that will get me going with printing in just a bit.

Appreciate the help.