logging into KDE [solved]

grimx

How did you go about installing KDE? It's likely that you didn't get everything you needed, so by letting us know how you installed it/what you installed we can let you know what pieces you're missing.

Old hands.

Am I correct in believing that just installing task-kde will not of itself install KDE ???. :unsure: :unsure: :unsure: :D

Please let us know if you Installed some of the many KDE packages using Mandriva Control Centre or how you installed the task-kde.

I know that installing KDE is pretty easy but it is not as easy as just installing task-kde on its own.

Cheers. John.

downloaded it using rpmi and and used configure my computer to install the task-kde package.

since i've done that, KDE shows up in the menu options just before i log in.

These are the packages that were already installed before i downloaded and installed the task-kde package:

kde-config-common-2007-28mdv2007.0

kde-icons-1.0.3-2mdv2007-0

one-kde-config-2007-28mdv2007.0

before i downloade the task-kde package, KDE never showed up as an option /or anything.

Edited by grimx

The list of depends is practically the full gambit of kde. If you used the Mandriva Control Center or urpmi, the depends would have been installed for you. At this point, I recommend logging into a different manager and installing the rest of kde via the Mandriva Control Center.

In other words, you haven't installed KDE at all.

All you have installed, it seems, is some of the dependecys of kde applications.

If you had installed using MCC, and started selecting the various KDE applications, mcc would have automatically identified and installed the appropiate dependencys. I am afraid that you started from the wrong end and are still at the wrong end.

Cheers. John.

I did use Madriva Control Center aka Configure Your Computer (listing under system menu)

and yes they are installed i whatched MCC's messagebox list "installing such and such"

which KDE file should i download to start??

:wall:

Edited by grimx

Look at Star=>System=>Configuration=>Configure Your Computer

This will launch the Mandriva Control Center from which you can use a graphic user interface to configure much of the computer. You can also launch it directly by typing "mcc" in a console. Under SOftware Management, you will be able to install, uninstall, and update the software in your system. As you select packages, MCC will autmatically begin to include other packages that are depends. Select "kde-base" and many others will come as well, around 30 packages.

Yes i know i did that.

here is wher i got the packages (from here mandrivauser.de/smarturpmi ) using the rpmi in the console..

then i went to MCC looked for packages to install. and that's how i got list-kde package.

MCC shows base-kde is already installed. it was installed with list-kde as a dependicy

Edited by grimx

When you next open MCC .....Install software, go through the list of kde stuff and install what you might think will be useful in the ...Graphical...kde section. Make sure to install.... kdebase-kdm in particular. This could be a good starter.

John.