NTFS resizing expiriences?

shoegoo

I have only read a few lines about the ntfs resizing in 9.1. I am getting ready to resize both of my family's XP boxes and I was wondering what expiriences everyone has had so far. Any problems with data? I am going to be trying many diff distros on the partitions, so I am basically just using diskdrake. When installing the bootloader at the end of install after resizing and ntfs partition, does it automatically setup the boot record correctly (writing to boot.ini and NOT the mbr)? Thanks.

You say that you are going to be using many different partitions. You will be limited to 4 primary partitions.

May I suggest that to use many different distros partitioned along with Windows XP that you go to www.acronis.com and check out their product called Acronis OS Selector. It will allow you to put as many as 100 partitions on a hard drive. It is also very linux friendly and supports both Windows XP and Reiserfs (Partition magic only supports ext2 and ext3).

I found out about the product on the xandros forum. There are two guys there that have used it and highly recommend it. You could go to their forum and do a search for "Acronis" to get the messages:

http://forums.xandros.com/

I'm not very technical, but just wanted to pass this information along to you.

Regards,

Richard L.

Actually I am not planning on having many distros installed conurrently, I just meant that I won't be going all the way through the Mandrake Install since I will be trying different distros. I will probably have just one partition(yes I know I should have more), sorry for the lack of clarity.

You don't really need a 3rd party partitioning software. Just use the custom partition in the installer and for each partition you make, make it "extended". You have click the Preference button to see this (after you initially select the partion, but before you save it). If you don't see a preference button, look for an advanced button.

In case you don't know, the extended partition (one of the 4 primaries, any one) can have any number of partitions inside it). However, you don't want to use any windows partitioning tool on that hard drive afterwards or you may find your entire partition table damaged. Window's has its own version of Extended and doesn't understand linux.

What I would do..

1. Backup XP if you can or make sure you can restore it. Get all drivers needed ahead of time.

2. Reduce the size somehow. EIther XP Disk Manager (right-click My computer/select Manage) will do it or get some other utility or trust mandrake to do it. I would make it about 2-3 gig in size.

Here's a suggested layout

HDA1

HDA2 - Fat32 Share partition so both linux/windows can use

At this point, use the Mandrake installer to create the rest..

HDA3 - Extended (will create automatically when you create first extended partition)

HDA5 - / - extended - 600 meg

HDA6 - /swap - (depends on memory)

HDA7 - /usr - 5-10 gig?

HDA8 - /home - 2-5 gig