help for a newbie using Mandrake linux 9.1

r.singh

Yes you're right, it was a typo and should have been libgcc. The version for Mandrake 9.1 is apparently called "libgcc1-3.2.2-3mdk.i586.rpm".

I admire your willingness to "get stuck in" and start learning about linux, but you should realise that you are making it much more difficult for yourself than it should be. That's fine if you just want to learn stuff, but you will find it difficult and the people trying to help you will find it much more difficult too.

If you want new software, you should get it via urpmi or rpmdrake as already suggested. Set up your sources, and just get the new software - no compilation, no scripts, no nothing, not even a reboot - it just works! It's really quite cool. If you insist on compiling source code then it can get tricky - much trickier than it should be.

Secondly, if you want an up-to-date system then you really should be using something newer than Mandrake 9.1 - that version came out in 2003 and has not been supported for many years. Getting the most recent version will make things much easier because the latest gphoto2, digikam, gtkam and everything is already in there. Plus I'm fairly confident that no other users on this board have Mandrake 9.1 installed, it's just too old - so they will be less able to offer advice to you.

Put those two together and you end up compiling new versions of some programs on a four-year-old system - that is guaranteed to lead to a long list of dependencies, mismatches, upgrades and conflicts. And again the users here at mub will probably not be able to help much.

Do yourself a favour and upgrade to a more recent version of Mandriva - you only need to download a single CD worth (700 MB) and then get everything else over the network. I'm sure your ADSL will handle it and it will save a lot of pain. You can always start compiling source code on that system, to learn more about how it works, but it will be much more consistent.

r.singh-

Read neddie's post carefully... I agree with him

Sorry, that 'was' a typo (I,ll fix it) in a quick incomplete list done from memory.

Here are some links to help you along the way.

Here is the Mandriva documentation:

http://club.mandriva.com/xwiki/bin/view/KB/BasicsIndex

Here is the Mandriva documentation on compiling source code:

http://club.mandriva.com/xwiki/bin/view/KB...sBsource#Source

Thank you for your comments and advice. I do want to learn a bit about the machinery of Linux but not at the cost of pestering the members of this forum. I am sure Mandrake 10.1 will do everything I want, but that is already possible with Win XP, which I now use. However, XP is a black box and changing to Linux would make sense to me only if I can have a closer relationship with the software, so to speak! Perhaps that is too ambitious a goal for a man in his seventies? I will order the version 10.1 disks and install it and then continue the process of learning more.

Thanks again.

R.Singh

Yes you're right, it was a typo and should have been libgcc. The version for Mandrake 9.1 is apparently called "libgcc1-3.2.2-3mdk.i586.rpm".

I admire your willingness to "get stuck in" and start learning about linux, but you should realise that you are making it much more difficult for yourself than it should be. That's fine if you just want to learn stuff, but you will find it difficult and the people trying to help you will find it much more difficult too.

If you want new software, you should get it via urpmi or rpmdrake as already suggested. Set up your sources, and just get the new software - no compilation, no scripts, no nothing, not even a reboot - it just works! It's really quite cool. If you insist on compiling source code then it can get tricky - much trickier than it should be.

Secondly, if you want an up-to-date system then you really should be using something newer than Mandrake 9.1 - that version came out in 2003 and has not been supported for many years. Getting the most recent version will make things much easier because the latest gphoto2, digikam, gtkam and everything is already in there. Plus I'm fairly confident that no other users on this board have Mandrake 9.1 installed, it's just too old - so they will be less able to offer advice to you.

Put those two together and you end up compiling new versions of some programs on a four-year-old system - that is guaranteed to lead to a long list of dependencies, mismatches, upgrades and conflicts. And again the users here at mub will probably not be able to help much.

Do yourself a favour and upgrade to a more recent version of Mandriva - you only need to download a single CD worth (700 MB) and then get everything else over the network. I'm sure your ADSL will handle it and it will save a lot of pain. You can always start compiling source code on that system, to learn more about how it works, but it will be much more consistent.

Many thanks, Greg2. Please see my response to neddie's post. I thank you for giving me the links to the Mandriva KB. From there and from books I will try to understand things a bit more and then decide whether the move to Linux makes sense, for me.

R.Singh

r.singh-

Read neddie's post carefully... I agree with him

Sorry, that 'was' a typo (I,ll fix it) in a quick incomplete list done from memory.

Here are some links to help you along the way.

Here is the Mandriva documentation:

http://club.mandriva.com/xwiki/bin/view/KB/BasicsIndex

Here is the Mandriva documentation on compiling source code:

http://club.mandriva.com/xwiki/bin/view/KB...sBsource#Source

Ordering Mandrake 10.1 would only give you a slightly less old version than 9.1, but the same things would apply - and you would have to pay for the ordering and shipping (although probably not much). As already mentioned you can download the single CD for "Mandriva 2007 One" and play with it. Try it out, it only costs you a blank CD and if you like it you can install directly from this CD. If you're worried about the length of time to download a CD, and you don't have your computer on for that long all at once, you can use BitTorrent to download it - it might take longer to download it but you can pause the download any time and resume it whenever you want.

And no, being in one's seventies is absolutely no problem, there are many more mature members on this forum who can attest to that. You can have a very close relationship with a linux system but it would be better to start from a more recent system, in my opinion. From Mandriva 2007 you can begin to compile anything you want, and dig right into the system if you wish.

I got my versions mixed up! I have ordered Mandriva 2007 CDs and hopefully they will arrive in a few days, since the vendor is in India (I don't know whether it is a scam or not, at this point, because they state that they have no office anywhere!). I have never used BitTorrent and am not sure whether I could download from there. One of the problems of a long download, here, is unexpected power failures which can last some hours and make a mess of things.

I am glad you think I can go on to develop a close relationship with the Linux system. I really do like to understand the devices (hardware and software) I use, as far as possible. So far, computers have defeated me (I am a retired mechanical engineering teacher). They remain black boxes!

R.Singh

Thank you. I will do as you advise. There is a lot to read in the FAQs on this site, and I am doing it slowly. Also there will be a lot more to read on the links you gave in an earlier post. I will attempt the 2007 install (over the existing one) after I have read a bit more. I cannot resist asking a question which may well be answered in some of the stuff I am going to read and probably sounds silly. Please bear with me. What exactly is a "package"? Is the gphoto software that I downloaded for my Mandrake Linux 9.1, for example, a package? And can an ordinary user, like me, install packages not available in the Mandriva libraries, or is that only for the experts? I am trying to connect the terminology used here to the Windows one with which I am somewhat familiar.

Thank you...R.Singh

What exactly is a "package"?

answer:

http://club.mandriva.com/xwiki/bin/view/KB/BasicsBrpm#What

And can an ordinary user, like me, install packages not available in the Mandriva libraries, or is that only for the experts?

Yes you can install packages not available from Mandriva, e.g. Adobe flash, Sun java, Adobe reader.

You can compile from source 'almost' anything you have located the source code to use.

You can compile from the source code that 'you' have made... or maybe you will make eventually. :)