help for a newbie using Mandrake linux 9.1

r.singh

I am reasonably experienced in using Win XP and am trying to move to Linux. Someone gave me the CDs for Mandrake Linux 9.1 which installed easily and which I later updated using the MCC. My ADSL connection and printer were set up with ease and I thought I could start using Linux soon (my needs are small) while I learnt more about it. I am full of admiration for the hundreds of experts who have freely given of their expertise and time to create this system, develop it and provide help to new users. However, I realise that there is no systematic support available. I have used Google a lot to find help but get defeated many times. As an example, I encountered the following problem and I don't know how to get it sorted out other than by appealing to experts in a forum like this. Perhaps there is another way to obtain help?

I tried to download pictures from my Kodak DX3600 camera, using GTKam. As soon as I click on the icon, a window opens headed "Bad parameters" and saying "Could not list folders in '/'" . Clicking "More" brings an error message saying "An error occurred in the io-library ('Bad parameters'): Could not find USB device (vendor 0x40a, product 0x510). Make sure this device is connected to the computer." However, the printer is connected to the same device (and works), so I don't know where to go from here. If I close this small window and try to add my camera, it is detected correctly but nothing more happens.

I would not like to pester the experts with problems of this kind (there are others too!) but where else do I turn to?

With thanks to anyone reading this and responding.

Rami

Hello, and welcome to this little corner of the net. I can not help you with your problem exactly, I don't use Digital Camera's , or any cameras for that matter. But I would suggest to you to perhaps get the latest version, Mandriva 2007, seeing as you have a broadband connection it shouldn't be to troublesome for you. It may or may not help you out with your problem, but at least you will have a far more up to date system, with better support for all types of hardware, etc, etc.

Good luck, and have fun.

r.singh:

I agree with jagwah. A more modern version of Mandriva may resolve many hardware problems you are currently experiencing.

With regard to help, I have always relied on two sources: Google and this board. There is also documentation available for most installed software in /usr/share/doc

This is a friendly board. Please feel free to post any problems you are experiencing. B)

I tried to download pictures from my Kodak DX3600 camera, using GTKam. As soon as I click on the icon, a window opens headed "Bad parameters" and saying "Could not list folders in '/'" .

I'm not familiar with your camera... but with many models you must set your camera's 'USB Connect' to 'PTP', not the 'Normal' setting.

You may want to try using digiKam, it seems to work better for me.

I also agree that you may still need a newer version of Mandriva for it to work properly? IIRC, I had problems with my camera using Mandrake 9.1?

Many thanks for responding. I will see if the limitations of my ADSL permit me to download Mandriva 2007.

R. Singh

Hello, and welcome to this little corner of the net. I can not help you with your problem exactly, I don't use Digital Camera's , or any cameras for that matter. But I would suggest to you to perhaps get the latest version, Mandriva 2007, seeing as you have a broadband connection it shouldn't be to troublesome for you. It may or may not help you out with your problem, but at least you will have a far more up to date system, with better support for all types of hardware, etc, etc.

Good luck, and have fun.

Thank you for your friendly response. I will look for the documentation you pointed me to.

R. Singh

r.singh:

I agree with jagwah. A more modern version of Mandriva may resolve many hardware problems you are currently experiencing.

With regard to help, I have always relied on two sources: Google and this board. There is also documentation available for most installed software in /usr/share/doc

This is a friendly board. Please feel free to post any problems you are experiencing. B)

Thank you for your kind response. I thought I was using digiKam! As I said in my reply to the first responder, I will see whether I can download Mandriva 2007, given the limitations of my ADSL.

R. Singh

I tried to download pictures from my Kodak DX3600 camera, using GTKam. As soon as I click on the icon, a window opens headed "Bad parameters" and saying "Could not list folders in '/'" .

I'm not familiar with your camera... but with many models you must set your camera's 'USB Connect' to 'PTP', not the 'Normal' setting.

You may want to try using digiKam, it seems to work better for me.

I also agree that you may still need a newer version of Mandriva for it to work properly? IIRC, I had problems with my camera using Mandrake 9.1?

I am probably making a mess of posting my replies to this forum. My apologies. I will eventually figure out how to reply to the right person, if that is the forum etiquette. At present, it seems, all the responses in a thread appear together.

Many thanks to Greg2. I followed up his suggestion about using digikam and it worked at once with the old Kodak camera! The camera I currently use is however not listed in the digikam list. But I found, on the gphoto website, that it is listed in their newest software gphoto2-2.3.1. I downloaded it but could not install it. It is supposed to work on any platform, so I thought it might also work in my older version of Mandrake Linux 9.1. I will make more attempts to install it, but I may have to seek help in this forum again.

I also looked at the possibility of downloading Linux 10.1, but that is a huge download and will be too much for my version of ADSL. I could order the CDs I suppose, but they are expensive and at the moment I am not sure I can manage the problems that may arise with Linux unaided and I do not wish to impose on the experts here on a regular basis!

With thanks, again,

R.Singh

I am probably making a mess of posting my replies to this forum. My apologies. I will eventually figure out how to reply to the right person, if that is the forum etiquette. At present, it seems, all the responses in a thread appear together.

lol, yeah I had a bit of trouble with that, I thought I was going mad for a while there. But there is some kind of thing, where if you post to the same thread within a set time, it will be added to your previous post. (I think thats how it is)

I also looked at the possibility of downloading Linux 10.1, but that is a huge download and will be too much for my version of ADSL. I could order the CDs I suppose, but they are expensive and at the moment I am not sure I can manage the problems that may arise with Linux unaided and I do not wish to impose on the experts here on a regular basis!

If you want, I would be quite prepared to download and send you copies of whatever version you want, all you would have to do is tell me where to post them, it's no problem whatsoever, I would be glad to help.

and I do not wish to impose on the experts here on a regular basis!

Don't worry about that, they are a great bunch, our 'MUB experts', feel free, impose away, they will help you as much as they can I'm sure.

You can reply to different posters in the same post or separate posts, as you wish. However, if you post more than once in 10 minutes, without anyone else posting in the meantime, the posts are merged automatically. :)

I must say the experts on this forum are amazingly helpful! I live in India and would not dream of having you (jagwah) take the trouble and expense of downloading the Mandriva 10.1 CDs and shipping them to me, as you have so kindly offered to do. I will try to find them somewhere in India. Meanwhile, I wish to continue the learning experience with my version 9.1. Encouraged by all the kind responses, I am posting my current problem, below.

I tried to install gphoto2-2.3.1. The "install" text file said, among other things, that the simplest way to install is to use the command ./configure after moving to the unzipped gphoto directory. I did that and the process began, but it soon ended. The last 3 lines on the console screen are reproduced below (I tried a "cut and paste" but that did not work for me):

" checking dependency style of gcc ...gcc3

checking how to run the C preprocessor... gcc -E

checking build system type... Invalid configuration 'gphoto2-2.3.' : machine gphoto2 not recognized

configure: error: /bin/share ./config.sub gphoto2-2.3.1 failed "

I do not understand what the error is and what I need to do to correct it. I will re-state here that on the gphoto website it says that this software will work on any platform. I will be grateful for advice.

Could someone also please tell me whether I will also need to update digikam if the gphoto install succeeds. That will be the next battle!

With thanks and regards,

R.Singh

I must say the experts on this forum are amazingly helpful! I live in India and would not dream of having you (jagwah) take the trouble and expense of downloading the Mandriva 10.1 CDs and shipping them to me, as you have so kindly offered to do. I will try to find them somewhere in India.

Mandriva 2007 CDs are available at www.linuxbazar.com for Rs 300 + Rs 60 delivery. :)

Meanwhile, I wish to continue the learning experience with my version 9.1. Encouraged by all the kind responses, I am posting my current problem, below.

I tried to install gphoto2-2.3.1. The "install" text file said, among other things, that the simplest way to install is to use the command ./configure after moving to the unzipped gphoto directory. I did that and the process began, but it soon ended.

If this is the first (no offense intended) application that you have tried to compile... you have picked a rather difficult one. :)

I have taken a quick look at it for you, and it will require you have installed:

gcc

gcc-cpp

libgcc

automake

autoconf

gettext

libtool

libtool-base

'libusb' and 'libusb-devel' of the same version (ver. >= 0.1.6a)

and some others that I can't think of at this time

you must then compile and install libgphoto before you compile and install gphoto.

Now you would have to try to compile and install 'libdigikam' and 'digikam' which will present a new set of problems with KDE frontend libraries (your 9.1 libs will be older).

I'm not saying that you can't do this, it simply will not be easy to do. I can't offer much help because I don't have Mandrake 9.1 installed to look at for you.

If you do try to compile this and have problems, you can find a config.log in your working directory to show you messages produced by compilers while running configure.

Good luck and welcome to the MUB :beer:

Edited by Greg2

Thank you, Greg2. This is indeed the first application I am trying to install. I will try to do the needful in stages. Even if I fail, I will surely learn a lot on the way!

Instead of adding to the number of posts in this thread, I will take the liberty of replying to the other kind responders in this one message. So, let me thank Daniewicz for directing me to the Wiki that deals with software installation, and him and spinynorman for telling me where I could get reasonably priced Mandriva Linux CDs. The high price I mentioned was the one I saw on the Mandriva website, and I now realize that the their price is high because they also provide support if one buys from them.

R. Singh

I have taken a quick look at it for you, and it will require you have installed:

I tried to see what packages are already installed on my system, and I have read the Wiki about installing software. I am fairly confused, which is understandable! I should try and get a book I suppose, because I can hardly expect tutorials on the forum. I looked at the packages (the list in your message) which I need to install in order to install gphoto2-2.3.1? Excepting "lidgcc" (I also tried libgcc just in case there was a typo!) I found some version of almost all the packages either already installed or available. My questions are:

How did you determine the list in your message? I want to see if I can reproduce it and find more details.

If more than one version of a package is available, should I remove the older version before installing the newer one?

Where do I find missing packages, like lidgcc for example?

Apart from the Wiki, is there some other article which I can read to learn more about software installation? I have seen some HOWTOs from the Linux Documenatation Project (I think) but most of them are old and I don't know whether they still apply.

I am sorry to have to continue to make demands upon your time. I hope I can learn the basics soon.

R.Singh