Keyboard does not work [solved]

banjo

I have Mandy 2006 which has been working fine now for many months.

Suddenly the keyboard has stopped working for one user only. There is no keyboard action at all for that one user (I cannot even turn num lock on/off) and all the other users work fine. I have not changed anything in the system setup. I have rebooted and logged in again. The behavior is the same. No keyboard for that one user. I have disconnected and reconnected the key board to no avail.

If I log in as a working user and then su to the non-working user in a console, the keyboard continues to work fine with the effective user.

I am using the kde desktop.

Any help would be appreciated.

Edit: One last bit of information. If I log the non-working user in with the gnome desktop, the keyboard works fine. So this is definitely related to KDE somehow.

Edit 2: I copied the .kde/share directory from a working user to the home directory of this non-working user and the keyboard now works. I do not want to leave it like this because then this user is starting all over again configuring KDE. Anybody know where I can start looking for a corrupt file?

Thanks

Banjo

(_)=='=~

Edited by banjo

Well, I fixed the problem, although I was not able to find out what went wrong to cause it.

Here is how I fixed it.

Logged in as me (regular user, not root)

su to the non-working user account

mv .kde .kdesave

Logged out as me

Logged in as non-working user.

KDE came up fine with the keyboard working OK, but the user was back to the defaults as though brand new to KDE. Now we just need to reconfigure the desktop and apps to the way they were when the problem occurred. This should not be too difficult since very little customization had been done.

If anybody knows what KDE config file configures the keyboard, I am still interested in learning about that, but for now we are back online.

Thanks to all

Banjo

(_)=='=~

One last note on this topic and then I will stop talking to myself :lol2:

My Kmail came back with no identities or accounts. Rather than manually configure the app, I grabbed the previous, backed-up config files and copied them into the new /home/brian/.kde/share/config directory. It took me a while to find the proper magic, so I thought that I would post it here.

Copy backed up versions of

/home/brian/.kde/share/config/kmailrc

/home/brian/.kde/share/config/emailidentities

into the new config folder

Log out

Log back in.

I had to copy both of the files and then log back in or the config got lost. Without both files there at login time, one of them seemed to clobber the other and the accounts were lost.

Banjo

(_)=='=~