Mandriva One doesn't boot

Guest liviu

Hy,

I am total newbie in Linux and I would like to use Mandriva One.

So I downloaded the free cd, the live one, (about four times, by the way) but every time I get stuck at boot.

I only get the progression bar and after a while, that is like 10 minutes, when I get bored of waiting and I press Enter, I get a screen where the last line sais something about loading HAL, then the screen blinks betwenn a login screen and a black one, and then I get this message:

"Failed to start the x server (your graphical interface). It is likely that it is not set up correctly"

If I use the menu which appears and try to set up the graphical card (which seems to be the problem), then I get a list with names and my graphical card is not on it.....

So Mandriva One doesn't boot at all.

I have a Hammer laptop, from Gericom, with a Amd athlon xp 2800+ processor, 512 ram and enought disk space, on which there is only one partition, with Windows on it.

The main board is a VIA VT8378[KM400/A] and the graphics card VT8378 [s3 UniChrome].

What should I do?

I was very excited about the idea of instaling Mandriva 2007, but in fact I cannot boot the very live cd....

I a totally stuck.

Please help me somehow. I am seek of windows!

P.S. I also tried with Ubuntu and this one works, only Mandriva One doesn't.

P.S.2 I just tried out to boot Mandriva One on another computer and after the progress bar stops, I press Esc and I get a screen whoose last lines are this ones:

"Buffer I/O error on device hda, logical block 0

end request: I/O error, dev hda, sector 8

Buffer I/O error on device hda, logical block 1"

I can let this screen live as long as I want, nothing else happens.

I am almost hoppeless with Mandriva.

Can no one help me???

I don't know what other informations should I provide.

Edited by liviu

• 2 weeks later...