powerpack re-install

bonebags

i'm wanting to re-install my powerpack 2007 machine but when i first installed it i got a error saying i had not enough room for the set up i wanted

i have a 40 gig h/drive thats only for mandriva powerpack 2007

i wan games, office, development and internet but keep getting not enough room

anyone help me with this??

also my nvidia driver was installed by default. (said something like " theres a driver available for your system)etc

all worked fine untill i had to shut down to repair my friends pc, then i rebooted mine now my games are choppy and jerky??

hope all this makes sense to someone

40GB is easily enough, but it depends how you partitioned it. Maybe a partition was too small which is why it said it didn't have enough space. Can you show what partitions you have on the disk and what their sizes are?

Try 'cat /etc/fstab' :)

root@localhost john]# cat /etc/fstab

/dev/hda1 / ext3 defaults 1 1

/dev/hda6 /home ext3 defaults 1 2

/dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom auto umask=0,users,iocharset=utf8,noauto,ro,exec 0 0

none /mnt/floppy supermount dev=/dev/fd0,fs=ext2:vfat,--,umask=0,iocharset=utf8,sync 0 0

none /proc proc defaults 0 0

/dev/hda5 swap swap defaults 0 0

[root@localhost john]#

Looks like you've managed to use all your / partition except 400MB or so. So, I'm wondering you must have installed practically every single package from the Mandriva install to use all of this. A full install is about 6GB from memory or thereabouts. Unless you've got something else on here.

This command, can help you work out where all the space is:

cd /
du -s `ls`

this summarises the sizes for each directory in the / (which we used cd / to change to before running the command). Of course, /home is mounted on a separate partition, so you can ignore this, but it's the rest of your directories you need to worry about which are all under / on /dev/hda1.

Delete, or just don't copy the CD/DVD media to the hard disk. You don't need to do this. If you don't do it, it just means when it needs some files from your CD/DVD it will ask you to enter the disk instead of copying it from the hard disk like it was doing before.

Delete, or just don't copy the CD/DVD media to the hard disk. You don't need to do this. If you don't do it, it just means when it needs some files from your CD/DVD it will ask you to enter the disk instead of copying it from the hard disk like it was doing before.

thanks mate, ive always copied the whole cds, as thought this was the best way

il do it your way when i do the re-install

thanks again

I normally do this if I've got loads of space free. You could move it to your /home directory if you had loads of space in here, then you would free up the space of about 2GB or so in the / directory since var is located in here.