Installed 9.1 last night, with no problems encountered

Relic2K

I installed 9.1 the other day and it went very well, no problems during the install, and I have the 3 downloaded CDs.

It found and properly installed my soundblaster live card modules, instead of the audigy modules. Why others are having problems with this I couldn't say.

What it didn't install was kppp and ppp for dial-up, which I'm stuck with for now. New users probably wouldn't even know where to look for these packages to install.

Mandrake put them in the 3rd CD. Not a big deal but users stuck with only dial-up need those packages, so for them getting the 3rd CD would be worth the effort.

I removed my 9.0 hard drive and installed a spare hard drive just incase the install b0rked. :D

All I want now is X-Chat 1.8.11 only version 2.0 is on the CDs and from what I have heard that newer version is not ready for prime time, other than that and a lack of mandrake docs like 9.0 has, the install was very smooth and rather effortless.

Here are the few niggling problems I'm having. I click on Home in the kicker, and I get a blank Konsole window. Desktop icons work fine. I was having similar problems with texstar's kde rpm's under 9.0, but I hoped that my reformat would fix them.

It turns out that there was a directory, ~/.menu/, that was causing my problems. I rm -rfv'd it, and everything works properly!

I installed Quake 3. It loads properly, but only mouse clicks, and not movements, are passed to the program. It doesn't appear to be a mouse sensitivity problem.

Upgrading to 1.32b fixed that problem. Now I can feed my killing addiction.:twisted:

Overall, this has been the best Mandrake eXPerience for me yet! By 9.2, I think we will have one ultra-sweet OS. :D

--Andrew

Installations all went smoothly; I did a clean install on my regular system and an update from 9.0 on my laptop, which has no important data. The update actually worked! I did have to do some tweaking, though. The fresh install went smoothly. The only problem was it did not configure my usb epson scanner correctly. It detected it ok, but I had to edit the epson.conf file manually. Also I had to go to localhost:631 to get my printer, which is on a WinXp box to work, manually setting the samba url, but I have the same problem with 9.0. These last two problems would have driven me nuts when I first started with Linux a year and a half ago.