Dual - Boot Separate external failure

Guest hattorihanz0

Guest hattorihanz0

******update****

Ok, I re-installed mandriva again and this time partioned a few sectors spacifically for linux. the rest for fat32. Now winxp recognizes the fat32 partion, but I still get the L 01 01 01 01 boot up error, and don't have any access at all to linux.

any help will be greatly appreciated.

This is my first time messing with linux (aside from Knoppix).

I just got a brand new 400 gig external and wanted to try to set up a dual boot with winxp and mandriva.

I just got a hold of the distro dvd and popped the dvd in the drive and restarted and commenced installation.

I chose the new hd and it partioned it into 6parts automatically. It appeared to install every software from the dvd just fine. So installation finished and I restarted my comp.

After the bios everything stopped.

A dos screen with a bunch of 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 (half of the screen) appeared. I couldn't get into windows or linux. I had to get on a second computer and make a boot disk to boot into winxp.

Now in xp, I can not see the brand new external that linux was supposedly installed on. I'm 90% sure the drive still works (just got it yesterday and dl'ed 4 gigs of stuff onto it before I installed linux) but it still doesn't show up.

I have tried messing around in the bios changing the boot order process.

Tried changing the new external to boot first, but still no luck.

Questions are.

Why can't I see the new drive anymore in windows xp after I installed mandriva on it?

Why does it boot to the 01 01 01 01 01 01 and freeze, leaving me to use a boot disk?

How do I fix it?

would a /fix mbr work?

Many thanks (in advance) for any help!

Is my new hd gone?

[moved from Software by spinynorman - welcome aboard :)]

Edited by hattorihanz0

When you get those repeated numbers it means that your MBR has been corrupted (most likely by LILO) .

You need to clear the MBR by inserting your Windows install disk and selecting restore MBR.

This will restore your ability to boot into windows.

My practise for the Mandriva is to do a dummy upgrade of mandriva and in the post setting up I make sure to select GRUB as the bootloader.

This gets me through every time.

Others will talk about using the CLI but this is the easiest way to do it until you are more familier with Linux.

Cheers. John.