Compact Flash Install

Guest rcallison

Guest rcallison

I am installing MDK LE2005 onto a 512MB compact flash drive. I have successfully installed it with / in a partition of 250MB, /var in a 50MB partition and /home in the remaining 200MB. Since I am using a compact flash drive I want to limit the number of writes to the disk by creating a tmpfs in ram. I have created a ramdisk with fstab as seen below:

/dev/hdc1 / ext2 defaults 1 1
/dev/hdc6 /home defaults 1 2
/dev/hdb /mnt/cdrom iso9660 user,iocharset=iso8859-1,noauto,ro,exec 0 0
none /mnt/floppy supermount dev=/dev/fd0,fs=ext2:vfat,--,umask=0022,iocharset=850 0 0
none /proc proc defaults 0 0
/dev/hdc5 /var ext2 defaults 1 2
ramdsk /tmp tmpfs defaults 0 0

The finished system will run completely off of the flash drive and have a touchscreen interface (MDK LE2005 is the only distribution that I have gotten it to work with) and will be running with no downtime. I want the root fs to be read-only in case of power failures the fs will not be corrupted.

My questions are: how can I make the root fs read-only? and how do I make MDK use the ramdisk to handle all the writes for logs and process files and such?

If you need more information let me know, I am rather new with linux (a few months now) so any information would be useful. thanks