I don't want to fail :(

Guest Trifid

I had 2 attempts, first failed after selecting the graphics drivers - X server or whatever it is called (on testing the resolution - which my monitor is capable of)

Second time I skipped it, and got to the restart, it loads up and then this where I assume there should be a log in.

cimg1571sg1.jpg

Any ideas?

(Btw. I have used Linux before, but am still a noob as you may call it.)

Reason for wanting to, I have had enough of gaming on PC's and windows. Good answer? :P

Fast reply button doesn't work. :/

I thought I should expand on this slightly: I installed the 64bit version, which seems to be the problem - well hopefully anyway. Is there a fast way to go to 32bit? Or is it another format?

Specs are:

AMD 64 3000 @ 2.2GHz

ASUS A8N-SLI

1.5Gibs of RAM in dual channel

BFG 7800GT OC

Seagate 80GB SATA

WD 250GB SATAII

Do people visit this forum at all?

This is a pretty big forum. Not all posts get read/answered, sorry if your's slipped through the cracks. It's also possible that no one has replied because, well, no one knows what's wrong (imagine that!).

So let's try to get more info:

What do you select for the graphics card driver during install? Geforce 7 would be my guess, but I could be wrong - you'll have to tell us. Sometimes it helps to try the VESA driver instead, as this is generic and works on almost every video card. Also, what resolution are you attempting to use? Lastly, if you downloaded the discs, did you ensure that the ISO's where not corrupt (by doing an md5sum check) and also did you verify your discs after burning?

Sorry about before, it came out a bit rude. :(

Very first time I selected GeForce 7. Second time I was going to do it once in Mandriva. Third time (32bit) it didn't ask.

No, and no. :(

I was also told on another forum to "stop ******* around with noob friendly Linux distros and get into Debian. :P

Ok looked up your card it is an Nvidia Card. Overclocked.

Have you tried downloading the nvidia driver from www.nvidia.com they say they support it..

To log into the box from where you are now press

ctrl alt f1

type:

root

then your password:

now type

init 3

now type

mcc

play with the settings there and test.

but i think the nvidia driver is what you really need..

Sorry about before, it came out a bit rude. :(
No worries, we've had worse reactions ;)

Very first time I selected GeForce 7. Second time I was going to do it once in Mandriva. Third time (32bit) it didn't ask.
At the end of the install there is a step where it lists everything that was done during the install. You can always change the configuration at this screen.

I was also told on another forum to "stop ******* around with noob friendly Linux distros and get into Debian. :P
Well, that may work for some people, but the choice is yours :)