Is there a Mandriva-Blackberry Strategy?

teledyn

Does Mandriva have or plan any support for the Research-In-Motion Blackberry cellphones?

I can't believe that I have to ask this in 2007, but it appears that there are still manufacturers who cannot fathom having anyone but a corporate partner's customers as their own customer; I see RIM described as 'evil', I see several fledgling projects struggling to reverse-engineer the protocols in the dark (eg barry at sf.net) and in the meantime I have a fancy new phone that makes phonecalls and very little else ... because I prefer Linux.

Why do IT corporations still do this to people? What's in it for them? I mean, really.

I see the device appear in my /var/log/messages, it is recognized as a RIM Blackberry and assigned as a usb-storage device in /proc/scsi, but I cannot mount /dev/sda (or /dev/sda1) and nothing gets automounted to /mnt/removable -- is even this much communications between the phone and Mandriva 2007 even possible? It seems so close, but am I wasting time trying to make it work? I've also seen some advice online about using external webmail services to get around the RIM-only Exchange-chained email services, but the instructions are long and involved and unconfirmed.

But this could mean that the problem was solved, and that's why all the other projects were abandoned! It's what I'm hoping, although I did a search here on mandrivauser for 'blackberry' and got zero results ... :(