Installing Mandriva 2007 on an M810L motherboard

Guest zingara

Guest zingara

I'm upgrading from Mandriva 2005 to Mandriva 2007

Install proceeds without any error messages.

The install seems to detect my video card ok (SIS630)

I've tried several resolutions and tested. The video tests looks ok.

When I tried to run Mandriva 2007, the bootload is ok untill (I think) it load xorg, then I lose the screen.

It appears that Mandriva is running but with no video output. The only way I can exit is with Control-Alternate-Delete.

I try to switch into a terminal mode from the keyboard but I still don't see anything, maybe it did switch into terminal but I don't see it.

I've tried to boot up in nonfb etc and it comes up into runlevel 1 (single users mode). Linux appears to be working ok in this mode but when I enter "startx" I'm back into the blank sceen, no viideo output.

I'm installing from the 4 CD (free) version.

I've looked at xorg.conf and I don't see anything in the file that looks wrong.

Any suggestions where I can go from here?

I don't have any such problems with Mandriva 2005

Walter

welcome to the board!

try running XFdrake instead of startx and changing your video card to use the generic VESA driver, then try startx. If that works, first thing you should do is try to update your system via Mandriva Control Center (AKA Configure My Computer) under Software -> Update software.

If you can not get to this point, or encounter more problems along the way, let us know and we can try some other courses of action...

Guest zingara

Thanks.

generic VESA got my display working.

I did a software update and apparently I dont need updates (no updates to download).

I'll leave the video driver at VESA for the time being, need to edit my inittab to reset my runlevel back to 5 and various other fine tuning chores.

Walter