How do you make desktop zoom with XGL?

Praxis

I upgraded my Mandriva 2006 to 2007 and installed the Nvidia drivers from PLF using Mandriva Linux Control Center. Then after a reboot I enabled the 3D desktop using XGL and almost everything is working fine. I haven't tested much 3D stuff, but I can play videos without stuttering and the effects are smooth.

When I hold the Alt key and scroll my mouse wheel I can make a window more transparent, which seems pretty handy for typing things while looking at something beneath your editor. But in past experiments with Compiz I was able to Zoom in on a bit of the screen by holding the Super (Windows) key and scrolling the mouse button. This time hitting the Super key just raises my left corner KDE menu. The scroll wheel doesn't modify it.

I've tried running gset-compiz as root from the MCC and as a regular user, but wasn't sure what to put where. I'm not even sure gset-compiz is working properly because I tried changing the bottom face of the cube, adding a PNG, but it didn't seem to take and my added image was always gone from the list when I restarted gset-compiz (and there didn't seem to be a way to save changes). In gset-compiz when I go to Shortcuts and Plugins and look at Zoom there are three fields, Initiate, Zoom In & Zoom Out. What values should I add there? Is there something else I should modify?

I read a review somewhere of Mandriva 2007 saying that the fellow had difficulty doing both opacity and zooming scrolling at the same time. Can anyone give me any hints? I guess I could give up and install Beryl, but I'm happy with XGL on this machine and just want this one functionality. Thanks muchly.

In gset-compiz when I go to Shortcuts and Plugins and look at Zoom there are three fields, Initiate, Zoom In & Zoom Out. What values should I add there? Is there something else I should modify?

In the Initiate field, add the shortcut key that you want to initiate the zoom action. For example, Initiate: <Control><Alt>z. Similar for other fields also, I think.

I guess what I'm asking is 'what would be the verbiage for the 'Zoom In' and 'Zoom Out' fields?' I poked around at the other Plugins fields and didn't see any mouse scroll wheel-looking stuff.

I tried something like this, but it didn't work:

Initiate <Control><Alt>z.

Zoom Out: <Super>ScrollUp

Zoom In: <Super>ScrollDown

Does anyone using gset-compiz and Mandriva XGL have working mouse wheel zooming? Any hints as to the settings? TIA

i press the left windows button and scroll wheel but this is with beryl 0.14 not compiz

Right, that's the behavior I would like to induce, but I was hoping not to have to install Beryl and just use the default Mandriva XGL Compiz. I've just found that with XGL/AIGLX that the farther you stray from the distro's default settings the more trouble you have upgrading, because upgrading something (xservers, kernels, Compiz, Beryl, proprietary drivers) tends to break something else. Nonetheless, I will change to Beryl if I can't figure this out within a month.

But beryl should be in mandriva's 2007 repositories (in contrib) and also be up to date. If you have nvidia it's a singe upgrading. I am on cooker, so I don't know the exact state of 2007 but in cookers mcc there's an option to upgrade to beryl in de drak3d (the tool to enable 3d) section.

If you have an nvidia card and you can't enable beryl via mcc, you won't have trouble upgrading, you only need nvidia driver >9x.xx, no extra x server needed. (i think the same is true for intel)

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I installed Beryl on my KDE 2007. But I still can't zoom. I am now using AIGLX with an ATI Radeaon VE and the ati driver. I can get the opacity to change in a window by scrolling with the right ALT key (not the left for some reason), but I don't know how to get the default Beryl behavior with the Super key. When I hit the Windows key it raises the K Menu; perhaps I have to disable this before Beryl will kick in. I looked over the kcontrol keybindings, but didn't immediately see how to do this.

Odd thing is, I don't seem to have a problem setting a keyboard shortcut to zoom in. I just went to Beryl Settings Manager and Accessibility->Input Enabled Zoom. Right now I'm using Kp_Add (number pad '+' key) and Control to zoom in and Kp_Subtrack + Control to zoom out. The (presumably) mouse scroll wheel setting was Super + Button 4 and Super + Button 5, and I tried various alternatives to the Super key (Ctrl, Alt, combinations thereof), but my mouse scroll wheel just wants to scroll the way it normally does up and down pages.

Ideas? TIA...

• 2 months later...

Upgraded to 2007.1, still no zoom, though it is supposed to be enabled according to the Beryl Settings Manager.

Zoom In - Super(Button 4)

Zoom Out - Super(Button 5)

At least the left mouse button now works with the scroll wheel to manipulate translucency.

• 1 month later...

Latest wrinkle, I still can't zoom in with KDE & Beryl 2.0, but I noticed that when I used Gnome I could, at least with the left Windows key and the scroll wheel. But the right Windows key doesn't modify the scroll wheel. And I can change the translucency of the window under my cursor by holding the right Alt key and scrolling with the mouse wheel, but the left Alt key doesn't do anything. Very strange, you'd think you'd want the keys that modify Beryl with the scroll wheel to be on the same side of the space bar, otherwise it is very hard to remember which does which. I consider this a bug.

And I'd still like to figure out how to zoom with KDE, oh well.