Cant use rpm ,coz missing libexpat.so.1

olddays

Hello ,

I need some help about using rpm . Because it says :

libexpat.so.1 is needed by fglrx_4_3_0-8.32.5-1.i386

libstdc++.so.5 is needed by fglrx_4_3_0-8.32.5-1.i386

libstdc++.so.5(GLIBCPP_3.2) is needed by fglrx_4_3_0-8.32.5-1.i386

When I try to install ati drivers (RPM)

Why don't those files exist? If you help , I 'll be happy , thank you...

You need to install them, thats why they don't exist. When you try to install rpms manually downloaded, this is the type of error you get.

If you installed the ati drivers from mandriva's repositories, it would sort this all out for you. For example:

urpmi dkms-ati

would pull in all the relevant packages for your ati card. However, this is for Mandriva 2006 and higher.

If you really insist on installing the driver you downloaded from ati, then:

urpmi libexpat-devel libstdc++5-devel

as you need the devel packages for installing this driver. You may also need the package called libexpat and libstdc++5 as well.

You need to install them, thats why they don't exist. When you try to install rpms manually downloaded, this is the type of error you get.

If you installed the ati drivers from mandriva's repositories, it would sort this all out for you. For example:

urpmi dkms-ati

would pull in all the relevant packages for your ati card. However, this is for Mandriva 2006 and higher.

If you really insist on installing the driver you downloaded from ati, then:

urpmi libexpat-devel libstdc++5-devel

as you need the devel packages for installing this driver. You may also need the package called libexpat and libstdc++5 as well.

Thank you but when I use urpmi dkmsti it calls urpmi unknown command. What Can I do about that?

Thank you but when I use urpmi dkmsti it calls urpmi unknown command. What Can I do about that?

Did you try it as "root"? You can become "root" by entering su in a console and then your password.

Oh, and in case you didn't know to configure your uprmi-sources, try this.

Then if you can't see it, go to the easyurpmi link at the top of this page, and make sure you have all your repositories set up for main/contrib/updates/plf-free/plf-nonfree.

dkms-ati is in plf. And make sure when you use easyurpmi, that you choose the version you have installed on your machine, so if Mandriva 2007, choose 2007. 2006 if you have Mandriva 2006.

Erm, I told you in the second post, read my first reply. It clearly says.

And you only need this if you're using the manually downloaded rpm from ATI. As you are using dkms, you don't need it. But if you're having problems with other rpms, then install it exactly how I said in my second post.

First I saw your message I was annoyed a little . It wasn't about you I think. It was about the foolish thing I did. I am sorry ; you are definitly right. I 'll be more careful . Thank you for your help . I think it will work. Forgive me ; I am in my second day in Linux =) .A bit nervous...

Hi again . I installed as you said in your second post. But I still need libexpat.so.1 . I am trying , but I can't find it for mandriva...

OK, it could be one of two packages - libexpat or libexpat-devel. Let's see what ones you've got installed. Run this command for me, and post the reply output so I can see:

rpm -qa | grep libexpat

and no worries, we all started the same ;)

My first and second days were back with Mandrake 7.1 and it probably lasted a week on my computer. Feb 2005 is when I started seriously and been with it ever since. It's a big learning curve, but it will come to you. It's not that hard once you're prepared to learn, and remember all the stuff, where to look, how to find it, and what to install.

I insist on keeping to use mandriva =)

It said :

libexpat0-1.95.8-3mdk

libexpat0-devel-1.95.8-3mdk

But I want to ask one more question ==>

I installed ATI driver without libexpat.so.1 . It made the install in windows style as you know . I rebooted the computer . But still my windows are working slowly. They are slow motion. And they are like animation (frame by frame; while scrolling the page , I must wait too much) . And of course texts are still hard to read...

May it be because of my installation without libexpat.so.1?

If you used the dkms-ati then no it won't be because of expat. Expat is only required if you used the driver downloaded manually from ATI.

Did you run aticonfig from the command prompt:

su (enter root password when prompted)
aticonfig /etc/X11/xorg.conf

I think that's how it works.

I did as you said . It said me go to the fglrx file to use aticonfig. I found it by finder in /lib/modules/fglrx

I wrote aticonfig ==>

There was a long long page with a text about configuration commands. I think the most important was ==>

---------------------

Setting up fglrx for the first time.

Single head : aticonfig --initial --input=/etc/X11/xorg.conf

Dual head : aticonfig --initial=dual-head --screen-layout=above

This command will generate a dual head configuration

file with the second screen located above the first

screen.

2. Setting up big desktop to horizontal and set overlay on secondary display.

aticonfig --dtop=horizontal --overlay-on=1

3. Setting up modes for primary display.

aticonfig --resolution=0,1600x1200,1280x1024,1024x768

4. Force primary CRT on and TV-out off.

aticonfig --force-monitor=crt1,notv

5. Change tv geometry

aticonfig --tv-geometry=85x90+10-10

This will set tv to 85% width (where 100% ==

overscan) 90% height and shift 10 pixels right of centre

and 10 pixels down of centre.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I use single head command it says:

Found fglrx primary device section

Nothing to do, terminating.

I am still trying a lot . I will do it but when? I am working too slow because of this problem...

I know I am making the topic digress , but I HAVEone more problem..I am working on C programming. I found a c compiler named Distcc.I made the install. It wasn't added to programs list. BUt I found its binary file. How can I start the program ?