lilo 0101 and Grub error 21 after install [solved]

Guest spikeybloke

Guest spikeybloke

Hi there,

Firstly, I know this topic has been covered but I have spent the last 3-4 hours reading various posts...trying different things and I'm still no further forward.

Okay... my machine has 2 drives - 160Gb maxtor woth XP pro and an 80GB maxtor with Mandriva 2007.

When I installed Madriva, I followed the tutorial on http://www.mandrake.tips.4.free.fr/installmdv2006.html (only thing I never got was lilo/grun first install, choose mbr etc... which i believe is my problem)... anyway, I installed Mandriva, all went smoothly and I rebooted. With lilo I get half a screen of 01 01 01 01 01 01's and with Grub, it gets to 1.5 then says error21.

My 160Gb was partitioned, so following instruction, I deleted it as it was believed Mandriva might not be able to see my MBR on the particular partition. I removed EVERYTHING (much to my dismay) and now have a clean XP install on the 160 and a clean Mandriva install on the 80. I still get the error.

When I boot from hdd via CD, i get the same problem 01 01 or error 21. When I try to restore the windows boot record, Mandriva tells me there is no boot record for it to restore... i can however restore it with fixmbr.

Ive been at this all day and am maybe missing something slapping me in the face...I hope so.

Anyway guys, as I said, ive had a look around here and club mandriva..tried countless things and am in the same place. its been suggested I try a different version of linux...say Kubuntu, but I dont want to... i toyed with Mandrake 8 & 9 and liked it so i want to go with Mandriva.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated...many thanks in advance

Guest spikeybloke

After much reading I "sort of" narrowed it down to the ASUS motherboard. Got an update from ASUS and started from scratch and its all installed... dual booting and updated...

Next time my questions will be a bit more technical...