unable to install 2007free CD (not ONE)

neighborlee

Hi mattijs.

I see where you tried the noapic nolapic and acpi=off routine.

Did you try the method I outlined in an earlier thread as shown below:-

Step 1.

If you are using a similar board to the ASUS A7V600-X that uses the same bios, in the BOOT UP part of the bios it has an item titled INTERRUPT MODE and the default is set to [ PIC ]. It must be changed to [ APIC ].

Make certain that the item titled PLUG-n-PLAY is set at [ NO ] and not [ YES ].

Step 2.

When you insert the install cd/DVD and the boot screen starts running it will show you an initial menu.

Select the heading INSTALLATION, by using the down arrow key but do NOT press the Enter button, i.e. only highlight INSTALLATION.

Type in the following :- pci=nomsi

You will see the text appear at the bottom of the screen. Using the left and right keys, use the backspace key (delete) to delete acpi=ht and nolapic and noapic.

Step 3.

Now hit the Enter key. You should now be able to do the install.

When you are doing your packages selection you will need to make sure that you do not select anything to do with apic or acpi or apic etc.

Step 4.

A very important step is this one.

During the settings procedures later in the Post install phase, setting up the bootloader, it is important that you go in to the boot settings and make sure that there is only splash=silent (this not critical) and pci=nomsi (this is absolutely critical) or you will not be able to reboot successfully.

I found that any single addition in Step 2. and it would not work to enable install and any other additions in the bootloader GRUB and you could not boot up either. I assure you I tried every combination but the initial inspiration was the ERRATA.

Try it and see if it works even though you obviously have different mainboards and therefore different bios.

Ley us know what happens.

Cheers. John.

I tried these settings and I am still unable to get very far into installation..the drive light flickers and the HD light is on during this,,but it never gets beyond that to install anything, and im wondering if this mandriva 2007 ( the one that chooses x86 orx86_64 for you is what I have) is just not going to work at all and maybe I need to try the liveCD ONE instead ?

cheers

g.leej

It is really irrelevant which one you use; they are the same distro.

Please state, in detail, exactly what you have done and what the results are. I have installed both x86 and x86_64 with Asus boards without problems. Would you please list your hardware?