Kdesktop [solved]

edwardp

Just about every time I log into Mandriva on my slower system, an error box appears related to Kdesktop indicating "The process for the file protocol died unexpectedly".

A Google search indicated this is a common problem with Linux, other people reported the same problem using Ubuntu and SuSE, but a solution (at least through a Google search) was not found.

If I log out or hit CTRL-ALT-BKSP and log in a second time, the error does not appear. There have been a few instances when the error will appear, yet the desktop icons will also appear. 99% of the time when the error comes up, the desktop icons do not appear.

I know this is not specifically related to Mandriva, because the same happened when I used SuSE on this same system (although not as frequently).

Are there any known resolutions to this issue, apart from logging in a second time?

Edited by edwardp

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

If I wait a few minutes after the login screen appears and there is no hard drive activity, I will get the desktop most of the time after logging in. I think it may have to do with the fact that the system has a slower CPU and obviously takes longer to go through all of the processes. :mandriva:

Edited by edwardp

If I wait a few minutes after the login screen appears and there is no hard drive activity, I will get the desktop most of the time after logging in. I think it may have to do with the fact that the system has a slower CPU and obviously takes longer to go through all of the processes. :mandriva:

Have you tried installing MDE kde?

I never got any of this issue.