changing my hostname ???

bigjohn

[root@john@localhost john]# sed "s/(HOSTNAME=).*/1localhost.john/" /etc/sysconfig/network > /tmp/network && cat /tmp/network > / etc/sysconfig/network

bash: /: Is a directory

[root@john@localhost john]#

[root@john@localhost john]# service network restart

Shutting down interface eth0: [ OK ]

Shutting down loopback interface: [ OK ]

Setting network parameters: [ OK ]

Bringing up loopback interface: [ OK ]

Bringing up interface eth0: [ OK ]

[root@john@localhost john]#

Well, I did as you said, and got the above, judging by the root prompt it hasn't worked (yet, but it seems that we are getting closer!), though should I have done it logged into root properly, and not just have su'd into root?

regards

John

[root@john@localhost john]# sed "s/(HOSTNAME=).*/1localhost.john/" /etc/sysconfig/network > /tmp/network && cat /tmp/network > / etc/sysconfig/network

bash: /: Is a directory

see the last part of the command? "/ etc/sysconfig/network" that space between the first / and the "etc/..." shouldn't exist.

Be sure that you are copy and pasting rightly. Try again w/o that space. Good luck :)

after running both commands remeber to logout and login to reflect the changes in your current session

Excellent,

My host name now reflects

[john@localhost john]$

Many thanks aru, and sorry if it seems like you are having to answer posts from a total dummy - it's just that I can't get all the wind0w$ stuff out of my head!

regards

John

p.s. Out of curiosity, which part of Spain are you in - my sister lives in Madrid!