Drawback in MenuDrake for KDE

lawsonrc

An unfortunate drawback in MenuDrake 9.0 for KDE 3.0 is that it doesn't allow you to make Keyboard shortcuts for applications and programs as the original KDE Menu Editor does in a simple fashion.

As a newbie, I found it complicated to use Menu Style, choose Original Menu Editor, to make the keyboard shortcuts. When I did so, it disabled some of my icons on my panel (changing them to cogwheels and unworkable) and gave only the KDE start menu, leaving out added programs from Mandrake (yes...I'm aware of the warning).

I was finally able to switch back to MenuDrake, activate my panel icons, and get the Mandrake-style launch/start meu back through a lot of fumbling around .

MenuDrake doesn't appear in the KDE start menu anywhere. I finally opened a run command and typed in "menudrake" to get it to come up and make changes. I had to log out without saving sessions a couple of times to get the Mandrake defaults back.

I just wanted to state that Mandrake has the reputation of being a simple distro for beginners, but this was making something overly complicated that was simple in KDE to begin with.:x

I hope this changes in 9.1 . :wink:

Regards,

Richard L.

Thanks, c_m_f!

*Do you know if this third party menu will allow me to make keyboard shortcuts to launch applications and programs?* If it does, then I will download it. It looks very logical.

Whenever I switch back in Mandrake to the KDE style menu to do this, then save it, logout, login, return to Menudrake, and save, I get a crash notification that KDE style menu has crashed and therefore I can't use the keyboard shortcuts that I've just made to launch programs.

I switch back to MenuDrake because the Mandrake Menu has all the applications in the Menu (such as various terminals, etc.) that don't show up in the KDE Menu...Mandrake has left it barren.

I guess I will have to figure out how to find all the apps that are in the Mandrake Menu and try to figure out how to add them to the KDE Menu. Ugh!!!

Or else, do without keyboard shortcuts to launch applications (which is faster than picking up the mouse and clicking.)

Luckily the Houston LUG meets every Wednesday evening, so maybe someone there can help me. If not, I'll be back to the forum.

Thanks again!

Richard L.

Guest c_m_f

well i donnu about that, its just a modified kmenu, still smae stuff (i think)

what id do is wait for 9.1, see how it is then (see if crappy menudrake is still there, its just so un logical when organising, and slow to organise stuff)

when you have 9.1 if its still teh same, uninstall kde (rpmdrake) then install the kde 3.1 rpms/tarballs so its a *real* kde install!

well thats i can think