I love Linux but.......

Guest Stumbles

p.s. Yes, I have disabled the onboard sound in the BIOS though what that would do, I'm not sure.

Unless I misunderstood your statement.....

Most computers can't support two sound cards (or in this case, onboard audio and a separate PCI sound card). Leaving the onboard audio on while having a PCI sound card would cause IRQ conflicts and the end result would be that your sound wouldn't work. So then, you would need to disable the onboard audio so that your PCI sound card only is detected and would work.

At least that's how I understand it. If your SB live worked in Windows when you tried it even with onboard audio enabled, then maybe my theory has been disproven.....

I still hold the belief that Linux isn't any harder to use or install than Windows, it's just that people have used Windows for so long, that for them to switch to something else would be very difficult at first.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you, those of you who have suggested idea's for my sound problem. I am still in the dark about it, because after switching between xp and the mandrake 9.0 (with the onboard sound disabled in the bios) a couple of times, it just started working for no apparent reason.

Literally, it just started doing system sounds, and I tried a few other things to check it out, and it seems ok. So thanks.

emh has a valid point, linux from window$ is enough of a learning curve, but I will freely admit, that I find it a learning mountain, though I feel that isn't just because I am a former long term window$ drone.

E.G. installing software, with window$ click a couple of boxes, maybe tick/check some others and in it goes. Yes, I do appreciate, that if it goes wrong, it can be a bastard to sus out - regedit and all that, but if something goes wrong, you can usually just re-install over the top and it usually get's you back into it, even if you have to mess with loads of personal preferences. And none of the "missing dependencies" nonsense.

The relativeness of intuitive software, is pretty important for total n00b's like me, because I feel achieving straight forward basic stuff makes you feel like you are making some progress and encourages you to go further and try more stuff. - Well it does me anyway. I have often been left feeling very frustrated when after doing a little reading/research, I try something and it gets me no-where. Especially if it means that I have to start looking around even more and end up trying to comprehend some advice produced by someone who has little or no idea about how to author written documentation.

A good example of this is whoever produced the original layout for "man" pages. This person must have only ever intended them to be read by linux/unix conversant IT graduates. Maybe that one would be a good idea for the LDP people, redesign man pages to be more user/reader friendly - even including examples of the contextural use of a given command. It shouldn't logically take up much room. After all, the man pages as they currently exist, don't really take up a huge amount of space.

That said, I can only thank and congratulate those of you who have the time/ability/patience to try an improve things, as I am always open to new idea's etc. But I doubt that I will ever be in a position to implement/instigate any changes myself, though perhaps I may continue to have a minor influence by asking pertinent questions or making appropriate suggestions - we'll see eh!

Keep up the good works everybody

regards

John

• 4 weeks later...
Guest bclaxton

John......In reading through these posts it seems like you and I may be having the same problem. Here is quoted my post from the "Hardware" area. I could not play a CD NO WAY! Although sound did work and I could rip and play MP3's

"Using KsCD player from the start menu, although it seems to be confusing. If I start it from Multimedia/sound, its called KsCD. But if I start it from What to do/enjoy musis/listem to a CD, its called "Listen To A CD". Both seem identical, just the different name on the title bar. Neither will give me any sound, even when I run the volume tab up to 100%. The CD iS playing, as I can see the time left. So then I open both AuMix and KMix, and try adjusting the tabs from there, in all kinds of combinations. My CD buttons are GREEN in both and the volume controls are up all the way. I did manage to get it to play once, but when I shut down and came back later the settings must have been lost, because I couldn't get sound any more. A Linux Guru from work told me to try playing an MP3 so I ripped and encoded a few songs and that works very well....sound is perfect! But this CD player is still dead .

Thanks Again......The Linux Newbee

A Linux Guru from work told me to try playing an MP3 so I ripped and encoded a few songs and that works very well....sound is perfect! But this CD player is still dead . 

Thanks Again......The Linux Newbee

Have you got the audio cable between the cdrom drive and the sound card? I think windows can play CDs digitally, but it's a bit of a waste of CPU ....

I really don't understand some of these posts ... granted I have been using Mandrake for some 3+ years, but I didn't do any command-line stuff to get my CD-RW writing CDs, my DVD/CD-RPM playing CD-ROMs and DVDs (with PLF stuff), digital camera's working fine, visor worked out the box. And my machine has on-board sound and SBLive! Value 4.1, and *both* work out the box.

Just one note on the SBLive! cards, if you want to get rear speakers working, use alsamixergui (install it if you don't have it), toggle the one at the far right (SB Live Analog output Jack) by clicking on the lock, then adjust the volume of the "wave surround" sliders. If you want to have your settings saved, also install alsa-utils. This is an issue since ALSA has only just been made the default in Mandrake 9.0.

I must still get around to having sound-fonts loaded at boot some time so I can play with midi ...

Guest bclaxton

I went back and played with the settings in KMix again, remembering that I had gotten it to work one time before. It seems that the CD slider has absolutly NO effect on volume. You MUST have the volume and the line 1 green lights activated and the sliders to the top....Now it works!

Thanks for the help guys I opened AuMix and did a file save also. Will now reboot and see if it comes back the same way.

Bruce