Installing new kernel [solved]

edwardp

Mandriva recently issued a security bulletin which recommended the installation of a new kernel, 2.6.17.6.

I was unable to install it. Because the CPU is an AMD K6-2, Mandriva installed the "legacy" kernel by default when I installed 2007.

When I followed the instructions at Mandriva's web site to install this, the instructions were incorrect, at least pertaining to the new legacy kernel. The abbreviated filename instructions as shown on the instruction page didn't work as urpmi indicated the file could not be found, it only worked when I used the entire filename right down to the .rpm at the end, the filename begins with "kernel-legacy".

After using the entire filename, it displayed another error that it could not access the file.

I was able to install the default (non-legacy) kernel, however the PC wouldn't get past the Lilo menu afterwards, as soon as I pressed the ENTER key to load Linux, it rebooted back to the BIOS. And yes, I ran lilo -v after editing lilo.conf. The new entries were removed from lilo.conf and the original legacy kernel continues to work perfectly.

I have no idea why these errors occurred upon trying to install the new kernel.

Although, I must say that it's good Mandriva allows the option to boot back into the previous kernel in case of problems.

Edited by edwardp

Mandriva recently issued a security bulletin which recommended the installation of a new kernel, 2.6.17.6. I was unable to install it. Because the CPU is an AMD K6-2, Mandriva installed the "legacy" kernel by default when I installed 2007. I was able to install the default (non-legacy) kernel, however the PC wouldn't get past the Lilo menu...

The legacy kernel is required for a K6-2, that's why the non-legacy kernel would not boot. MDV2007 installed the correct kernel.

It's not clear from your message if there's even a security-updated version of the legacy kernel available. Easiest way to tell is just open MCC, go to software management, make sure the updates are updated, and see if a newer replacement for your original kernel shows up. If so, just install it, then reboot the machine and select the new kernel from the LILO menu - the new kernel should be added automatically to the LILO menu when you install the new kernel. If not, just continue to use that originally-installed legacy kernel and don't worry about it.

kernel-legacy-2.6.17.6mdv-1-1mdv2007.0.i586.rpm

is the filename, showing a date of November 3, 2006.

In the MCC under software installation (the + selection), the only kernel listed is 2.6.17.5 with an indication that kernel-legacy is already installed. Under the update selection, the new kernel isn't listed at all.

• 4 weeks later...