mandriva 2007 one, kde, ati, XGL and dual screen

holr

hello,

I have installed the latest ati drivers for my laptop (8.29.6 i think) and they are running fine. XGL loads up nice too, lovely wobbly windows and all that. I use dual screens in work (by dual screens, i mean one big desktop, not dual-head) and was wondering if anyone else had luck with an ati card getting xgl on a big desktop?

I believe there are two ways to configure a big desktop, using xinerama and using ati's tool, "aticonfig". I have only been using aticonfig so far. I can get dual screens up, but it hangs before even showing the mandriva splash screen (just get a mouse cursor with a busy sign). However, if i disable xgl altogether, the dual screens come up fine, but doesnt look too pretty anymore.

Im pretty sure I had this enabled before, but that may have been with aiglx and the open source ati drivers, however I need the binary ones so I guess xgl is the only route available!

I have read into this problem a bit more, and it seems this combination isn't possible on ati hardware at the moment, with the current 8.29.6 drivers. xinerama doesnt have composite multiscreen for both displays, and its a similar problem for ati. If i get this solved in the future, i'll be sure to post something.