Constant system freeze with camE or Palantir

RVDowning

I am getting a constant system freeze after a few minutes of running camE (webcam snapshot and ftp) or palantir (webcam server) on Mandriva 2007.

I have three webcams, usb 2.0, and I can freeze the system after a few minutes with just using one of them with camE. On Mandriva 2006, I can have all three webcams up and running with three copies of camE all day with no problems.

Likewise palantir also freezes the system after it has been up a while.

These are Logitech QuickCam Communicate STX cams using driver spca5xx.

Video card is nVidia GeForce 6600 GT (AGP). Tried drivers 8762 and 8774.

I've had to restore back to 2006. I'll have to stay there until this can be resolved.

Any ideas?

From speaking with someone in the #mandriva chat room, it seems that the problem is that the driver spca5xx doesn't work with the current kernel, and the replacement driver gspcav1 which is supposed to work, doesn't. Seems there is nothing that can be done at the moment, except to stay on 2006.

From speaking with someone in the #mandriva chat room, it seems that the problem is that the driver spca5xx doesn't work with the current kernel, and the replacement driver gspcav1 which is supposed to work, doesn't. Seems there is nothing that can be done at the moment, except to stay on 2006.

I hadn't realised or I would have answered earlier that the spca5xx is an opensource driver.

Hence you should be able to recompile it if you can find the EXACT kernel source used by Mandriva....

In my experience finding the latter is the hardest....

since for some reason mandriva always seem to provide source and .config that are almost but not quite the same as they use for the kernel rpm?

So I found the best way is to actually make a new mandriva kernel from THEIR source RPM which ends up not being the same as the one it should be.. so you need to redo all modules and nvidia etc. + vmware etc.

Perhaps a lot of work for nothing? unless you specifically want 2007???

Personally, I didn't find anything of interest in Mandriva 2007 except some eye candy (3d) and a faster boot time, and the eye candy doesn't interest me. I don't think it was worth the time to upgrade. I'll wait for the driver to be fixed or 2008 to come out, which ever occurs first.