pcmcia wireless card [solved]

Guest spalla

i installed a pcimcia wireless card and it works great. My problem is that everytime i reboot i have to go through the configuration again. Anybody knows how to set it up to keep the drivers?

Thanks

I have had a similar problem in the past, with both 2006 and 2007, I am assuming you are running one of these.

Are you running ndiswrapper? If you are, try "modprobe ndiswrapper" as root on a command line and see if that does the trick, if it does, there is a file you will need to edit, the name dependant on what version you are running.

Do you want it to work?

Do you have a verbose mode?

Can you answer the questions I have already asked? You said "it didn't help", am I to gather from this you are using ndiswrapper, or am just whistling in the wind?

This is a great board, and there are lots of people (most much more clever than I) that are more than willing to help you, but we are not dentists, we will help if you make this a little less like pulling teeth.

sorry about that i really appreciate the help, it is just english is not my first language and i'm very new at linux.

here is what i do

i go to system>configure your computer>network

than create a new network

than wireless

than i use ndiswsrapper, i have to locate the drver, than it works.

I even checked where it says launch this at boot.

I hope that is helping you

Thank you again

sorry about that i really appreciate the help, it is just english is not my first language and i'm very new at linux.

here is what i do

i go to system>configure your computer>network

than create a new network

than wireless

than i use ndiswsrapper, i have to locate the drver, than it works.

I even checked where it says launch this at boot.

I hope that is helping you

Thank you again

It sounds reasonable, if the directory you have the driver in is in your path, I would guess it's not.

Try this, I am assuming that you have a downloaded a windows driver for the card and it is in a directory you have in your /home/<user_name>/Download directory.

Open a terminal and type:

[spalla@locahost ~$] kdesu konqueror /usr/share <enter>

Enter the root password when prompted. Right click in an empty area and make a new folder, name it anything you want, but for now, let's name it "card_driver". Double click on it so it is open.

Now, click on "Location" in the upper left corner of konqueror and choose "new window". Navigate in the new copy of konqueror to where you have the driver you downloaded stored. Copy the entire directory that you unarchived the windows driver in into your "/usr/share/card_driver" directory. Go ahead and close the copies of konqueror you have open once you have done so, and go back to the terminal.

su to root, and type:

ndiswrapper -l <enter>

this well tell you what the name of the driver is that you are currently using, now type

ndiswrapper -e <name_of_your_driver>

Now fire up MCC and try again installing the driver, but this time point ndiswrapper to the appropriate file inside /usr/share/card_driver/ directory.

See if this doesn't work better for you. If it still doesn't work, you may need to edit a file.

If after trying the above it still isn't there after a reboot, try "modprobe ndiswrapper" in a terminal as root again, if that brings it back, then you will have to add a line "ndiswrapper" in modprobe.preload.