instalation woes

Guest sub_netter

I'm not going to post anything additional to tYY's great post, though I disagree in some of it's valorations (my hardware is very similar to yours, sub_netter, and I can use more elaborated apps --w/o problems-- than those proposed by tYY), but I want to give an advice to you, If you got the chance put more RAM on that box, you'll notice soon the difference in performance.

1: favourite window managerdesktop enviorenment

2:     "          ftp client

3:      "          web browser

4:      "          text editor

5:       "         html editor

6:        "        mail client

7:       "          MP3VID players

8:        "         irq client

9:        "         image viewereditor

Here is what I use, HTH. Notice that I'm used to simple but powerful text apps:

1: Runlevel 5; I used to use Gnome, and some of my family users are still using it, but from some time to now I only use fluxbox which I love it.

2: lftp, or even wget (and some times, but rarely, gftp --graphical--)

3: Opera 6.03 (I've noticed that new versions consume much more resources with the same results). Lynx and wget in text mode and for automatic browsing.

4: vim

5: vim (in the begginings I used bluefish which was a great editor though more limited than vim)

6: mutt (in graphical mode netscape, but now a days very rarely)

7: xmms, mpg123 ...

8: I don't use, though my sisters for chat purposes use gaim, everybuddy, kvirc,...

9: gimp, xv, xli, ...

tYY's great post
If you got the chance put more RAM on that box, you'll notice soon the difference in performance.
Yes. I guess that's the whole difference! I only have 32MB RAM on my laptop, and sure it shows...
1: favourite window managerdesktop enviorenment

2:     "          ftp client

3:      "          web browser

4:      "          text editor

5:       "         html editor

6:        "        mail client

7:       "          MP3VID players

8:        "         irq client

9:        "         image viewereditor

I'm used to simple but powerful text apps
Me too; in truth, I also use vi, ssh, wget, and a lot of (bash) shell writing.
1: Runlevel 5; fluxbox
I agree. Go with Fluxbox. If you really need that extra bit of missing power, then follow my advice, else stick with Fluxbox; it's second best IMO, in your situation, but so much easier to set up, and more powerful.
2: lftp or wget (and sometimes gftp)
Almost same here, except that I never quite got how to use lftp (how do you know if /some/file is here or there?)
3: Opera 6.03. Lynx and wget in text mode.
You're 100% right. My answer only included free software, but Opera, though not free software, is probably the best for you. On the other hand, really, Lynx should be replaced by links, IMO (it is both text and graphic).
4: vim

5: vim

My second choice after nedit; I only use those two. Vim is a text editor to know. Look here for a start:

http://www.troubleshooters.com/lpm/200212/200212.htm

Yves.

Yes, the amount of ram makes a lot of difference.

2: lftp or wget (and sometimes gftp)
Almost same here, except that I never quite got how to use lftp (how do you know if /some/file is here or there?)

I change local directories with lcd and run local commands like 'ls' preceeded with '!'; And I do remote listings and stuff with normal lftp commands. So "here" with '!' and 'lcd' and "there" w/o '!' ;)

3: Opera 6.03. Lynx and wget in text mode.
You're 100% right. My answer only included free software, but Opera, though not free software, is probably the best for you. On the other hand, really, Lynx should be replaced by links, IMO (it is both text and graphic).
hehehe, I'm here like you were with lftp, I don't understand links :roll: I think it is because I'm very used to lynx :D