Just starting off with Mandriva. A few concerns

Guest sancho

Hi everyone,

I've installed Mandriva 2006 a while ago but never had the time to actually look into it until now. And I'm already hooked: spend about 2 hours yesterday customising my desktop and menus. I watched a movie. It's great! Therea are a few issues though that I would like to go through with to make my Linux fully functional.

Most importantly, I need to set up my Internet connection. That's the first thing I tried because I have to go back and forth from Windows to Linux now to look fo a solution to my problems. I have LAN and I'm connecting with my IP, submask, etc. When I choose LAN connections from the options, my adapter is not in the list. It's RealTek RTL8168/8111 PCI-Express Gigabit Ethernet NIC. How should I install it?

My other serious concern is that I can't play the music on my computer. There is sound when I log on, everything with the movie was fine yesterday but the tracks have no sound. I tried with a couple of players but to no success. I would really appreciate any help with this. I read some posts about iPod issues and software and someone talked about a program called Banshee- I looked it up in the internet and it said it was for gnome, so would it run on KDE? Generally, would a program run in one graphic environment if it was designed for another?

I'm looking forward to your help and would be grateful for any general advice, too.

Kind regards,

Valentin

Hi everyone,

I've installed Mandriva 2006 a while

why dont you install mandriva 2007 ? i'm not so sure , but i believe that all your problems will be history in mandriva 2007 , here is the download place . http://www.mandriva.com/en/download/free mandriva 2007 cames with many more drivers than 2006 .

if you are new to mandriva you should use a firewall (protection againt hackers) with or without an interface, firewalls like : firestarter, guarddog, knetfilter(kde), mandi or others ... you should protect yourself.

any general advice
you might find here http://www.mandrake.tips.4.free.fr/index.html

if everything is working fine, i'd stick with the 2006 mandriva (personally) a little longer. get the lay of the land, if you will.

for the nic, use the link ftp://152.104.238.194/cn/nic/r1000_v1.04.tgz. issue the command

tar -zxvf r1000_v1.04.tgz

and that should unpack that tar'd and gzipped archive file to a directory named r1000_v1.04. Inside there should be instruction file named README which you can open with any text editor. the instructions in the directory mention that you need to have the kernel source installed. so at the terminal, you should do a uname -a and find your kernel name. the launch the mandriva control center (mcc) and login as root. you should then try to add teh package kernel-source (for the appropriate kernel). the instructions then go on to say that you should (as root)

make clean modules
make install
depmod -a

supposedly that should get you going.

concerning your music woes, what types of music files are you trying to play? mp3? wma? m4a? you should be able to play mp3 with anything in mandriva. i don't think they've restricted their distro to be non-mp3 capable like others have. for m4a, there are several programs which can handle this. i use gtkpod personall and it seems to work well. for wma files, you can add this capability, but it's been so long since i've done it i couldn't point you in a proper direction.

4di is right about the firewall. if you're connected directly to your cable modem or internet connection (no router with built-in firewall) you should install a firewall. there is a default one in mandriva (if you look in the mcc it should be easy to find). you don't want to enable things like ftp and telnet servers for sure. if you're new to security, ssh and http servers maybe something you want to steer clear of for awhile also. but as with all linux, you learn the most from trying things out and getting burned on occasion.

welcome to the board and good luck!

Edited by JonEberger