error mounting partition [solved]

Jas

tried to install powerpack 2007 right now, gets as far as asking me if i want to upgrade or new install.. after clicking upgrade, i get an error screen saying:

An error occurred

mouting partition /dev/hdb5 in

directory /mnt/mnt/win_d failed

i did mess around with my partitions a while ago, changing the whole of that hard drive from ntfs to linux.. i guess mandriva never saw the changes and thinks that it's still ntfs, how would i change it?

I had a similar experience. In my case, my /usr partition was the problem. I have been using these partitions for at least 2 years for Mandriva installs. Partition Magic claimed that the partition was reporting itself wrong. I ended up having to wipe the entire drive and partition it. I have used Drake tools to do the work and it is possible that the tools are at fault. At any rate, I got it all installed after reformatting the entire drive. I had to start with Knoppix, delete the bad partition, then Mandriva would delete the rest of the drive and partition. Neither Partition Magic nor Mandriva tools would successfully alter the drive prior to removing hdd7, the offending partition. Odd problem.