Firefox in LE2005 [solved]

satelliteuser083

I'm still using LE2005 (well, it's not broke, so why fixit? :P ), and firefox 1.0.2 I would also like to install Session Manager but this only works with ff v1.5 (according to the error-message, anyway). My attempt to update ff also failed, only ff 1.0.2 was available in the MCC update list. Is it possible to install a newer ff-version into LE2005 and, if so, how? Thanks.

If you download the latest version from mozilla.org, what you will get is a compressed file. Uncompressing this file will give you a folder called firefox. Place this folder anywhere you like (mine is under/opt). Run the new firefox by typing /opt/firefox/firefox

If you download the latest version from mozilla.org, what you will get is a compressed file. Uncompressing this file will give you a folder called firefox. Place this folder anywhere you like (mine is under/opt). Run the new firefox by typing /opt/firefox/firefox

Or, you could do like me and go to Help in Firefox, select search for updates in the drop down menu and when it says do you want to install the update, or whatever it says, just say yes. I have LE2005 and while I believe my version of FF was a bit newer than the one you are saying you have, the upgrade went flawlessly and I am now surfing with the latest and greatest FF. No worries.

Thanks, daniewicz, your method worked perfectly. However, there's still one (small :huh: ) problem; when attempting to install Session Manager I get the message 'Software installation is currently disabled....'. In Edit/Preferences/Content/Warn me when web sites try to install... (box ticked) the Exceptions are listed as 'addons.mozilla.org' and 'update.mozilla.org', which I would have thought to be sufficient. Any further tips, please.

I do not use any firefox extensions, so I am guessing on the answer to your problem. Perhaps you need to be running firefox as root when you try to install the extension? This would be expected if you installed firefox under /opt.

Thanks again, but that didn't solve the problem. However, I did what I should have done in the first place :sad: and read the FAQ's, where it stated:

How do I enable software installation?

In Firefox 1.5 this preference still exists, but it is now accessed through about:config. Find xpinstall.enabled and set it to true by double clicking on it or by right clicking and choosing reset.

After I'd done just that, it worked. Anyway, thanks once again. :D

Or, you could do like me and go to Help in Firefox, select search for updates in the drop down menu and when it says do you want to install the update, or whatever it says, just say yes. I have LE2005 and while I believe my version of FF was a bit newer than the one you are saying you have, the upgrade went flawlessly and I am now surfing with the latest and greatest FF. No worries.

Thanks, Electraglider. My version of FF doesn't contain the 'search for updates' item in the help-menu, so I went with daniewicz's suggestion, which worked. Once again, many thanks :P