trying to update firefox so I can get to .sfw file

ted_zas

Hello, A little while ago I purchased some DVDs to help understand Linux, Great part is they have extensions that are .swf and from what I can find out I need to add plug-ins to see them. I have tried repeatedly to download updates and get back a series of cannot do this because of that files. WOW. I've included some of the screens from the there is a problem screens. I know the odds are good it is a simple fix but I keep looking in the wrong direction. Thanks for all the help. ted

;------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

here is what the updating programs file ends up stating

There was a problem during the installation:

mozilla-firefox = 1.0.6 is needed by (installed) yelp-2.12.2-2mdk.i586

medium "update_source" uses an invalid list file:

mirror is probably not up-to-date, trying to use alternate method

;------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

this is what the file says when I attempt to update firefox.

----------- Install Action Summary -----------

Macromedia Flash Player 7 will be installed in the following directory:

Mozilla installation directory = /home/ted/.mozilla

Proceed with the installation? (y/n/q): y

cp: cannot stat `/home/ted/Desktop/libflashplayer.so': No such file or directory

cp: cannot stat `/home/ted/Desktop/flashplayer.xpt': No such file or directory

NOTE: Please ask your administrator to remove the xpti.dat from the

components directory of the Mozilla or Netscape browser.

chmod: cannot access `/home/ted/.mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so': No such fil e or directory

chmod: cannot access `/home/ted/.mozilla/plugins/flashplayer.xpt': No such file or directory

Installation complete.

Another question I had was did the 20+ other files in this download really load?

Again thanks for the help. ted

Perform another installation? (y/n):

Solution no.1:Find the files libflashplayer.so and libflashplayer.xpt in your /home folder, and move then by hand to the (hidden) directory /home/ted/.mozilla/plugins/

Now, simply restart Firefox.

Solution no.2: Re-run "./flashplayer-installer" as root, and point to the global mozilla plugins directory (should be in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins - sorry if the path is somewhat wrong, I do not use Mandriva). This has the advantage working for any user, not just "ted".