GNUcash 2.0.1 and LE2005

Electraglider

Long time time no post. Thanks to Aussiejohn I have a copy of LE2005. Thanks to a power surge my wife lost her computer and I had to donate my Linux box with a windose loaded hard drive. I finally have my linux box back and I have discovered in the meantime there is a newer version of GNUcash out. I have downloaded it but I find it requires dependencies I can't seem to acquire through updating my distribution packages nor direct downloading. Am I looking at the prospect of updating my LE2005 to 2006 or later? I have discovered in the process of trying to update that 10.2 or LE2005, whatever you want, is no longer supported. The only place I found the updates was at http://mandrake.mirrors.pair.com/Mandrakel....2/main_updates.

Notice the OLD in the URL or you would if the whole thing showed up. Anyway, after getting that to work using the console method logged in as root I still have been unable to install GNUcash 2.0.1. Manually installing the dependancies would be prohibtively time consuming.Anybody have any recomendations or suggestions besides scrapping Linux and sticking with Windose and Quicken? Actually, I don't intend to scrap Linux. I like it. I just want to be able to use it productively. I'll use it other ways in any case.

I've used GNUcash for over 5 years for my home finances and just love it. For reasons not worth going into, I stll have to use Quicken for my business but hopefully that will change soon. Ouicken sucks SO bad in SO many ways...

Anyway, GNUcash has a lot of dependencies to satify, yes. It's a fairly complicated program using a lot of different libraries. It IS possible to upgrade to GNUcash 2 (I have done it), but as you found out, not easy. So practically speaking, you really have 2 choices:

1. Just use the GNUcash version supplied with your distro. Not so bad, I still use the v1.8.9 included with Mandrake 10.1 just fine. Most of the improvent in v2.0.1 is cosmetic - a spiffier GUI due to using Gnome2 libraies instead of Gnome1. Other changes in the newer version are mostly aimed at small business use.

2. Update to a later version distro that includes Gnucash 2. If you really want the new version that would be the best way to go. If you want to stay with Mandriva (still a good choice) the new 2007 version would be the way to go. 2006 had some issues, not really serious, but 2007 should be better 'out-of-the-box' and will be supported with updates much longer.

Thanks Crash,

That's just the sort of information I was looking for. You're right, I have run into RPM hell and I have just ordered the free version of 2006 on CD. I do have the older version of GNUcash that came with LE2005 and made a token effort to use it. But when I discovered the newer version was out I decided to try and get that one before I made an all out effort to incorporate it into my already extensive Quicken accounts.

That's when I discovered LE2005 was no longer supported and decided to see if I could get 2006 upgraded easier to run the new version of GNUcash. Further, I kinda figured GNUcash 2.0.1 was more of a feature upgrade rather than cosmetic. At any rate, in the process of attempting to upgrade my LE2005, I am learning a lot about Linux and it is giving me reason to spend time here at Mandrivausers.

My 2006 should be here by the weekend and after I get that installed I'll be back to trying to get GNUcash2.0.1 installed. As a long time user of GNUcash, you might want to standby because I expect I'll be posting some more issues. :wall:

Thanks again.