2006 and 2007 installation kde start [solved]

Guest anaconda

Guest anaconda

Ive tried today to install first the 2007 RC2 One and later the 3CD 2006 i586 release, both with the same symptoms. When i try to launch KDE /xserver I cannot find a display! startx and kdestart both fails early in the startup.

Isnt the 2007 One CD supposed to boot starting KDE by default? It seems like that when I read the instructions on mandriva.com.

This is my first attept to install any OS besides XP on this particular machine and I am a noob (not a complete donkey though i hope=).

My concern is that it could be related my gxf card ATI X800 PCIE. ATI vaguely states on their website that all newer cards should be supported with basic functionality and 3Dgfx. Xorg seems to second that.

Ive tried setting DISPLAY:0.0 with no change in the behaviour, didnt really expect it to change anything but still.

Am I out of luck with mandriva?

No, I doubt that you are out of luck.

From the command line you can run XFdrake as root to re-configure your video as described in the link below.

As a test start, you could try the generic VESA driver so that you get familiar with using the tool. But you should be able to select the ATI fglrx driver, along with selecting resolution, color depth, and monitor. Be sure to run the Test option before you Quit the tool. This tool will write a new /etc/X11/xorg.conf file that should work if you get a successful test pattern when using the tool.

Use XFdrake from command line to configure video

Guest anaconda

Thanks for the reply

The FXdrake tool ran, but thats pretty much it... None of the options were available It said

Custom Display driver (this is probably an issue in my guess)

The screen It got 1600 1200 16bpp fair enough

I couldnt select/click/enter/space any options. The ui seemed to malfunction.

I could select Do and Quit in that order but the problem is still the same.

Is

"No display found"

a reasonable response from startkde and startx If the gfxcard driver sucks? Isnt there a reasonable fallback that ever card supports? ;like vga at least?

I tried this on the 2006 installation.

Edited by anaconda