gtk2

Guest dturley

Guest dturley

I never noticed that the 8.2 CDs has gtk 2 rpms on them as well as gtk 1. (I'm assuming gtk+2 is gtk 2.)

Apparently I didn't see this at install, or wasn't an option. Can I install both gtk 1 and gtk 2 on the same system and compile/run both types of apps? Are the versions compatable or exclusive?

mdk 9 has both versions also, so you should be able to use both versions just fine. however, they're not compatible with one another. a program made specifically for gtk2 won't work with gtk1. a gtk1.2 theme won't work for a gtk2 program (some will work, but you'll have to work for it). bvc has a post in tips and trick on using gtk1 themes with gtk2 apps.

Guest dturley
however, they're not compatible with one another.  a program made specifically for gtk2 won't work with gtk1.  a gtk1.2 theme won't work for a gtk2 program .

Thanks. I realize that a gtk2 app won't work with gtk1 libs, I'm really trying to figure out if you can have both installed and run both types of apps. Do I have to give up my gtk1-only apps to use gtk2 apps?