Internet telephony -- very urgent

Guest lonley_shepherd

Guest lonley_shepherd

hi evry1, currently on Mandriva 2006 happily for like 1 week now, but heres the issue.. the reason i have ADSL is to avoid high international rates (my borthers and i live in egypt and out parents are in UAE, having ADSL there as well), and it was working just fine on windows using Skype then GoogleTalk.. now its like a nightmare, skype isnt working fine in UAE anymore and google talk isnt supporting Voice on Linux versions.. searched for suitable software that supports both and came across this page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_VoIP_software tried installing all the clients supporting both windows and linux, but i cant get them to work for various reasons, like poor customer support (WengoPhone), requiring something called SIP or H.323 not really sure but sounds like accounts and paying money to use (Yate and SJ, and finally horrible GUI or highly technical options which i know nothing about.. been in this mess for a week now, my dad keeps bugging me to install windows back and to hell with linux.. gave me three days (today included) to find something we can use or shift back to windows.. plz any suggetions for help on any of the clients of listed on the wiki page are welcome or recommendations for other porgrams.. and plz walk me through what u suggest am not much of an expert here :S.. thanx very much in advace

I use Skype in Linux all the time and without a problem - perhaps you could give us more information as to why it wasn't working for you?

I also have some experience with Gnome Meeting - it does audio, video and works very well - afaik it is compatible with Window's conferencing software, but check out the site for more detail.

I'd hate for you to have to go back to Windows, and I doubt you will have to..

Also, have you made sure your audio devices are working in Linux? Mic?

Jsut visited the site - Gnome Meeting is now known as 'Ekiga'. From the site: "Ekiga (formely known as GnomeMeeting) is an open source VoIP and video conferencing application for GNOME. Ekiga uses both the H.323 and SIP protocols. It supports many audio and video codecs, and is interoperable with other SIP compliant software and also with Microsoft NetMeeting."

I use Skype in Linux all the time and without a problem - perhaps you could give us more information as to why it wasn't working for you?

I think he measn he can't dial a UAE number as opposed to it not working in linux.

and I'm guessing IP to IP is blocked for "technical reasons".

Usually you have to wait until a censor who speaks the language of the conversation is available.

Guest lonley_shepherd

heey u guys are really thoughtfull :luv: all

SoulSE: well Skype is i suppose blocked by the ISP there (Etisalat).. my dad using windows and it shows me offline.. regarding gnome meeting i dont really know what SIP or H.323 is.. i already mentioned am still a noobie.. so plz tell me what to do or look for to connect to an XP running machine.. crossing fingers now :D

Gowator:

"and I'm guessing IP to IP is blocked for "technical reasons".

Usually you have to wait until a censor who speaks the language of the conversation is available."

i guess u mean what i already said.. btw how's the censor?

Edited by lonley_shepherd

Gowator:

"and I'm guessing IP to IP is blocked for "technical reasons".

Usually you have to wait until a censor who speaks the language of the conversation is available."

i guess u mean what i already said.. btw how's the censor?

Well usually if you dial direct from Egypt (or lots pf places) international you have to wait until someone who speaks the language of the country you are calling is available to monitor the call.

For instance if you call the US they will make you wait for an English speaking censor to listen in on the call and until there is one avaiable you just get a busy tone as soon as you dial the 001

Also its like if you call the UK (and a friend who speaks Farsi mother tongue) used to do this all the time and had to speak english with her little girl because if she spoke Farsi she would just get cut off...

I had a couple of cypriot friends when I lived in Libya and they would always play about by speaking in really thick accents and a french friend who spoke Basque and would be interuppted by censors saying "speak greek" or "speak French".... or we'll cut your call.

Guest lonley_shepherd

damn.. never knew about that.. but isnt that a violation to my rights of confidentiality.. well anyway.. i still dont get how that is a problem if its a PC to PC call both on ADSL . theres no phone line to listen to..

damn.. never knew about that.. but isnt that a violation to my rights of confidentiality.. well anyway.. i still dont get how that is a problem if its a PC to PC call both on ADSL . theres no phone line to listen to..

Erm, that is why they are blocking the protocols......at the ISP.

Guest lonley_shepherd

well **** them all.. :D

now regarding the Ekiga, i installed it and all the supporting packages but when i run it from the menu.. it appears to be loading and is shown in the minimized application (using KDE) then nothing.. just nothing happens.. i check the system monitor.. and its not there.. what do i do.. am going crazy here people.. some other client maybe?? any1??..

thanks a million

well **** them all.. :D

now regarding the Ekiga, i installed it and all the supporting packages but when i run it from the menu.. it appears to be loading and is shown in the minimized application (using KDE) then nothing.. just nothing happens.. i check the system monitor.. and its not there.. what do i do.. am going crazy here people.. some other client maybe?? any1??..

thanks a million

run it froma terminal and see if it gives error messages

Guest lonley_shepherd

hehehehehe.. got it though ;) maybe on shoutwire.. politics is the big issue there now, blow off some steam there :D .. and thanxx for the concern!

now regarding ekiga.. ran it in terminal and thats wut i get

[ahmed@localhost ~]$ '/usr/bin/ekiga'

/usr/bin/ekiga: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/libopal.so.2: undefined symbol: _ZThn568_N12PVXMLSession9RecordEndEv

.. now i checked /usr/lib and theres no libopal directory.. although i installed its rpm and appears to be there when i go to the remove software under packaging.. now i noticed in the /usr/bin another ekiga file.. called ekiga-config-tool, sh shell script (sh is the bash shell.. right? man i learn quick!! ;) ) wen i run that in a console it gives the following..

Usage: ekiga-config-tool OPTION

Fixes problems with the Ekiga settings

--clean remove all user settings

--install-schemas install schemas with default settings (run as root)

--clean-schemas remove schemas with default settings (run as root)

--fix-permissions fix permissions of GConf repository (run as root)

mm.. is that in anyway going to help.. i dont know .. and aa got another client that comes with the KDE.. called K-phone uses SIP i suppose (i have an acc on ekiga.net now).. asks for full name, user part of sip url and host part of sip url..and three other optional fields (outbound proxy, authentication username and q-value between 0.0-1.0).. i know wut to type in the 1st.. but the 2nd and 3rd?? :S .. help me out here, i feel so dumb

Edited by lonley_shepherd