Is this a real linux file?

ted_zas

Hello,

Recently my PC blew a cap on the motherboard. So I took the two hard drives from it and installed them in a different PC. I had both partitioned with Mandrake and Win 98. No I have not been able to read the drives. That is just one problem. I put the drive that came with the newer(?) -replacement- PC and attempted to read the old drives with XP pro. No luck.

I went and purchased a new drive and installed my 2006 Mandrake on it. I hoped that that would read the the files in the old drives. Still no luck. I then went to one of the mirrors that I am directed was directed to and updated the files for 2006. I purchased the disks late last year and did do this before with no problems.

After installing the mirrors I have a new icon on my desktop. It has a folder picture and two smaller icons attached to it. The name is 'core.5917'. I have tried to determine if it is a valid file but have not been able to find out anything about it. Is 'core.5917' something that should be there?

Thanks for all the help. I am sure that after finding out about this new file and what to do with it I can go back to banging my head on how to read the old drives. That has me since I know before with mandrake I could see all the drives. Anyhow thanks for the help.

ted