Specifying either 75 or 100 dpi fonts

Guest SDMF

When I boot up, seemingly completely by random chance, the computer starts with either 75 or 100 dpi fonts. Is there something that I can put in the XF86Config file that will force it to use one or the other?

BTW, I am using GDM, if that makes a difference in how X starts.

I read once that the 100 dpi should be listed first, if you want to default to 100 dpi. But I am not sure why it goes back and forth.

I had a similar problem, the icon text would be a different size etc.

I sometimes booted into X (graphical login) without having the monitor on.

Then XFree could not determine the screen size, and defaults to 75dpi.

Check your /var/logs/XFree86.0.log (or something like this), and see what it says about your screen size (in my case, it says something like: 403x 295 mm, 103x102 dpi, or: screen size not found, 75 dpi).

You can put an entry in the /etc/X11/XF86config-4 file to force a certain screen size and thus dpi setting.

From: http://www.xfree86.org/~dawes/4.3.0/XF86Config.5.html

DisplaySize width height

This optional entry gives the width and height, in millimetres, of the picture area of the monitor. If given this is used to calculate the horizontal and vertical pitch (DPI) of the screen.

This is an entry you should put in the monitor section.

I had a similar problem, the icon text would be a different size etc.

I sometimes booted into X (graphical login) without having the monitor on.

That was exactly what was going on. It happened when the monitor had not been turned on.

It's really not an issue anymore, since I have stopped using graphical login, and have adjusted some settings in the /etc/X11/fs/config.

But thanks for the info, I've bookmarked it for future reference.

I think you can edit out the auto stuff in XF86Config-4, and tell linux that there is a specific monitor with specific setings. That should stop auto detect.

I think I fixed the problem, by editing the order of directories in which the font server searches for fonts, in /etc/X11/fs/config. I'd imported some M$ TT fonts and added them to the search path, at the top of the list. These were conflicting with the linux fonts, I am guessing, cause when I moved it down the search list, it took care of the problem.

So, it appears that it was not really the monitor. At least for now. I'll read up on the format for the XF86Config-4 file, in case the problem arises again.