Can't reinstall Lilo [solved]

Jas

had to format my windows partition today [not a surprise]... and next time i rebooted i realized lilo was gone.. so i put in the mandriva dvd... go to F1 and hit rescue, then I tried to reinstall the boot loader.. but it just kept giving me error 2... cant remember what the exact message was.. something about cant write to root and drakx or something...anyone know any quick fix or should i go write down the entire error message?

Bugs maybe in /etc/fstab. Windows can renumbering partitions. You have ane Linux LiveCD? e.g. Knoppix, Mandrake Live CD?

Boot from this Live CD and

as root

mkdir /rescue

mount /dev/you_root_parition /rescue

chroot /rescue

repair bugs

run lilo

If is OK touch CTRL+D

reboot

.....Lex

back in mandriva now.. i just went back and did an "upgrade", and installed grub this time :D works fine now, although thats weird that the rescue didnt work, and the main install thing did.. =\

Good on you JAS.

You used the method I usually recommend to fix so many problems, namely doing a dummy upgrade so as to repair screwed up bootloaders....... amongst other things. Plus moving to Grub as the bootloader.

Cheers. John.