Display Issues - tests fine, but... [solved]

gwyn

Hi,

I am trying to install Mandriva. When trying to configure the Graphic Card, Mandriva picks up that it is an Intel 810 on board graphics card. When I test the settings - evrething seems fine - shows the spectrum etc. But on restart, when Mandriva finally reaches the Desktop (after logging in) there are definite display issues, with strange hatching around windows, blocks of various colours everywhere and a scrolling screen (that is when the mouse reaches the right or bottom of the screen the screen scrolls to accomodate areas not displayed). I am confused as I Test the settings, and everything seems perfect. Any ideas? Thanks very much.

Welcome to the MUB B)

I am assuming you are installing Mandriva 2006 and that you did not use a Mandriva One DVD. If this is the case you will need to update the install (in particular, xorg needs to be updated).

Is the screen usable enough to set up urpmi so that you can update the system? See Easy-Urpmi at the top of the Mandrivausers.org web page.

Hi, Thanks for your reply. No I did not think to try the Mandriva One DVD - I jumped right in!!! I think I could make it out, if I knew where to get the system update! Having no idea where it is yet - it makes it difficult to navigate! Terminal is pretty unusable, but I can just about make characters out if I know what I am trying to read. If you could tell me where to look - it would be a great help.

If I download the Mandriva One DVD, would this be much easier?

Again - thanks for the welcome and support

Look under Configure Your Computer (aka Mandriva Control Center), then under Software, there should be an icon for Update.

(You can do this without using the Mandriva One cd)