Mdk 9.0 and 9.1rc1 - ext3 fsck problem

aRTee

I have a weird problem in that I have the mdk9.1rc1 root partition mounted at boot on /alt but since I installed mdk9.1rc1 it stops at the fsck and tells me I should update fsck and that the version I have is not compatible or so.

I can't boot to 9.0 anymore, until I step in and comment the line in the /etc/fstab out where the /dev/hda9 is mounted on /alt

After booting, I can issue the correct command and mount the partition (guess then it doesn't check the filesystem or so) without any problem.

Does anyone else have this problem?

(and yes, I checked but found no updated version of fsck)

aRTee,

I have exactly the same problem. Here's the situation:

mdk-9.0 has e2fsprogs-1.27ea

mdk-9.1rc1 has e2fsprogs-1.32

It so happens that v1.32 supports some new features not supported by v1.27ea. Naturally, a filesystem generated by v1.32 cannot be checked/repaired by v1.27ea. The workaround is this:

1. Linux lets u login as root after complaining about the incompatibility. U can change the /etc/fstab file by commenting out the relevant lines.

2. After u reboot, linux will reboot and this time it will boot fine.

3. Now, u can uncomment the entries in fstab and mount these partitions. Note that mounting is allowed but not running fsck.

4. Before reboot, do not forget to comment out the same lines in fstab !!

ndeb, your solution is exactly what I did; except for the uncommenting again; I just leave the # in the /etc/fstab and issue

mount /dev/hda9 -t ext3 /alt

whenever I want to read from it.

What puzzles me is why it's not complaining about /home which is also ext3.... but maybe it doesn't check that at boot..?

Anyway, thank you for figuring out why this happens (and which programs make it so),... guess I can close my bugreport now...

I just leave the # in the /etc/fstab and issue  

mount /dev/hda9 -t ext3 /alt

Thats a neat idea. I will start using that too.
What puzzles me is why it's not complaining about /home which is also ext3.... but maybe it doesn't check that at boot..?
Well, its not about ext2 or ext3 since in my case the partitions are ext2. Its about which partition needs to checked. It so happens that it is not trying to check /home so there is no problem with it. But it is trying to check / and running into problems.

Also, see http://e2fsprogs.sourceforge.net/ where it says:

This release has fixes a few bugs over the previous releases. In particular if you wish to experiment with the new htree directories feature in the 2.5 (or 2.4 kernels using the backport patches) you should upgrade to this version of e2fsprogs.
Could this be the cause ?