Google Earth [solved]

AussieJohn

I've got it installed on my system and for me it really doesn't work at all. It will come up and run, but when I try to zoom in, I get a really messed up map with black spots and the likes. I know the vid card is working with 3D because I can play Wolfenstein ET just fine. Not sure whats going on with my system.

Trey switching to full screen. It came up messed up on my system as well. switching to full screen helped.

No offense taken, tyme. Actually when I started trying to install it before calling for help, I did try single and double clicking on it and it only opened it in kwrite. That was the first thing I tried in fact. Just tried it again......same result.

I noticed that as you zoom in and out that when the zoom stops that it can take some while for the image to settle and sharpen.

It appears also that the same city may have different image sets with different characteristics so don't assume that your image response will necessarily be the same as you move over a large city or land mass.

They use different satellites from different times for even a particular area so you can understand why it would vary so much.

Images taken 3 or 4 years ago had a lot lower resolution than images taken within the last 12 months but are intermixed.

I have to say I am extremely surprised that some of you seem to have problems. Once I was told what was needed to do to install it, it has been easy as pie to use. I think some of you guys may need to do the install again and regard it as simple (and it is) and don't get caught up in the "complicated installation syndrome" which I think is why you may be having problems. This is NOT a criticsm in anyway because I used to be like that when I started in Linux. I was over awed by it all so now I just relax and roll on. I still don't know how most of it works but I get along AOK. So will you. Give it another go or two or three. :thumbs:

Cheers. John.