Dual Boot thwarted by windows hibernation

fuego

Hi guys and gals,

I have got a nice little dual boot scenario going on my laptop and I love it. Windows sucks but I need it for work , Mandriva is fun and interesting but still doesn't cover all my bases.

The PROBLEM is that when windows goes in hibernation (which is a function I use alot as I travel about a bit) I seem to lose my mandriva to some extent.

I can still choose to boot mandriva but then it will only boot for about 7-8 seconds and then stall. As far as I can tell it's due to the hibernate.

Im sure there must be someone who has nailed this problem.

Please share with me if you have.

ta.

~fuego~

Do not hibernate windows and start mandriva and vice versa.

As a general rule of thumb, it's a bad thing to do this for a number of reasons. The first that springs to mind is that generally, neither operating system clean mounts it's filesystems on a restore, which due to the possibility of the filesystem being changed by another operating system, or buffers/caches not being flushed, can result in nasty filesystem corruption.

James

I am not starting linux after the win goes into hibernation as when I boot, it straight away restores the windows session.

And I don't use the hibernate on mandriva yet but would like to if I can get both systems reliable.

I think what iphitus means is when you hibernate you boot fully back into windows and do a shutdown...

If you are doing this and its still hanging then I would do a full shutdown and then power cycle. If you have peripherals Windows shuts down then the power cycle may be needed to re-initialise them.

If you want a different solution then another way is run mandriva as the primary OS and use a Win VMWARE sesssion ... this at least gives you a quick suspend for the XP and you only need to work on the mandiva suspend?