How to upgrade to 9.1 ?

Guest metz2000

Guest metz2000

Hey, when 9.1 final comes out (apparently around April), how will upgrade to it from 9.0? Will the upgrade be in RPM form? Will I have to rebuild my machine completely and lose all my data?

When 9.1 final is released, just insert the cd and choose one of the options available, upgrade, new install etc. It will do it all for you. I would choose a expert install, and format all partitions except for /home

If your nor sure how to do this, then use drakbackup to save all your important files to a cd, or whatever, and install normally.

Traditionally, it has been better to do a clean install rather than an upgrade. So I would follow anon's advice and

1. Backup (if you can). You can use drakebackup or partimage. The idea is that you want to restore it.

Or, Backup just important files such as scripts, user folders, /etc directory, what not.. I did this and tar.gz what I wanted to save. The idea is that you will manually restore everything that you want. Eg Desktop image. I don't recommend you fully restore an user folder and just start using it. You can try but no idea if any errors you have will be due to 9.1 or due to not upgrading normally.

2. Do the upgrade or clean install. There is no longer an expert install mode, but when you get to the partitioning screen, you can still select custom partitioning if you want to.

3. In the event that the results don't work for you, you can restore your backup or try again with a different method.

You might just bite the bullet and do a clean install of 9.1 rc1 now and update it from there. The longer you use your current build the more things you will have to backup.

9.1 rc1 is clean, solid, and generally performs way better than 9.0 final (IMHO). I'm still using 9.1 Beta 3, just haven't bothered to update to rc1 yet. Too many other things to do.

I have installed 9.1 rc1 on others computers and I found that all of the config file issues that were in Beta3 have been solved in rc1.

Best of luck

I disagree, I would not upgrade to 9.1 rc1 unless your intent is to help with development. I would install a second copy and leave your original alone so you can continue working day to day. I don't think the release is stable enough for day to day work. I'me having too many minor issues and downright crashes or whatnot. E.g. Can't get sylpheed going. Can't recompile the NVIDIA drivers (different gcc), so on..

Guest boonders

if you have 1/2 a brain, and a little logic, RC1 is simple to setup and use. The only problem I've had is Openoffice doesn't want to work with the old OO .01 config files in a non-formated /home partition. But, if you just install the package from OO, it works fine :)

Nvidia, simple...just switch the variable to tell it not to look at the GCC compiler version :)

I haven't had any real problems. Of course anybody using RC1 is going to help the developers with bugs, but this is a RELEASE CANDIDATE, not a beta or alpha release. If you find a bug, report it! that simple

Actually I have both sides of my brain *honest* :roll:

This may be an RC but as far as I'm concerned its beta and rc is just a label. I don't mean that as a critisism toward Mandrake, but to imply its still development software.

I still recommend you leave your old system alone and if you can install RC1 in its own partitions or wait until later. Unless you do want to simply go to RC1 and spend time figuring out why things don't work. Nothing wrong with that :)

At the time I installed Beta 2, I'd just managed to hose 9.0 trying to install KDE 3.1. (ezroller and I spent a whole night on that one and it just wouldn't do it.)

Just because I haven't had any probs doesn't mean anyone else won't either. I do feel a little better giving advice to go rc in that they do have a lot of bugs out already.

I usually just surf, mail, stream ogg/mp3, word proc., burn cds, and it works fine for that. I can see that other uses would possibly bog down though. I had a lot of problems with XMMS locking up under 9.0 with streaming audio on 845i chipset. That doesn't happen anymore.

It really wouldn't hurt any worse than installing M$ ware as far as being beta goes. :lol: My Win XP Pro SP1 complains more often than does rc1 when doing same as above.