Locating and Installing Netscape in Mandrake 9 Power Pack

Guest LinuxWench

Guest LinuxWench

Hi...

Need help locating/installing netscape from the mandrake 9 distribution CDs,

I presently have the Mandrake Linux Powerpack Edition 9.0

I will like to install the netscape browser (It's not pre-installed in Mandrake 9). I used the sofware manager and did a search on "netscape" but was not able to locate this package.

How do I locate the netscape package that came with the Mandrake Linux Powerpack Edition 9.0?

How do I install the netscape package that came with the Mandrake Linux Powerpack Edition 9.0?

Thanks

Cindy :P

If Netscape is shipped with Mandrake then what you did should have reavealed it.

Sounds like some CD's could be missing from your sources.

Open the Mandrake Control Center and go to 'Software Management' then open 'Software Sources Manager'

Make sure all of your installation CD's are listed there. If they are not then you'll need to add them. If the PowerPack CD's are similar to the download CD's then i'm guessing that Netscape will be on CD #2.

Otherwise you can grab it from the 'net. Texstar likely has built a Netscape RPM. http://pclinuxonline.com

Hi,

I don't think Netscape is included with 9.0 anymore. At least I can't find it on my PowerPack either. I think they just went with Mozilla for default.

Steamcat is right, I've seen an rpm for Netscape on Texstar's site.

dalee

PS Steamcat, Opera :shock: :shock: ! It's the Lizard all the way!!! :) :) LOL!

hehe, treachery dalee.... Old age and treachery. :) That's the version I am familiar with. Has a nice sinister ring to it. :cool:

I installed Netscape 7.01 whilst fiddling with this. I used the tar from Netscape's home page. Ehhh... it looks very nice. Netscape for Linux has come a long way.

While I was fiddling with my system I broke something. :lol: I can't log in anymore. 8)

I hope what ever I broke was related to the other stuff I was tinkering with and not simply by installing netscape. It seems to be related to java and i'm wondering if simply installing Netscape did it.

But i'm out of my leauge on this one. :oops: Had to make a new KDE account so I could come out here and beg for help. 8)

Sorry to hear something broke for you Steamcat. I would bet it maybe Netscape did it. I would try and remove it and java. Then re-install it if you want.

I don't know why, but I've always disliked Netscape and liked Mozilla. I know they are basicly the same. But still, Mozilla is faster and more stable for me. Go figure.

About the sneakyness/treachery thing. I'm getting to be too old to be treacherous anymore, so I have to settle for being just sneaky :D :D :D

dalee

LOL, sneaky will work. 8)

Not a problem LW. Breaking something means I get to learn something. :wink: Perhaps many somethings. :cool:

I've run Mozilla too. Very, very nice. But, i'm hooked on Opera. 8) At any rate, this Netscape 7.01 that I installed is much nicer than the last time I loaded Netscape when it used to ship with Mandrake.