Panel Hiding in Gnome [solved]

Gannin

Tonight I upgraded from Mandriva 2005 LE and Gnome 2.8 to Mandriva 2006 and Gnome 2.10. Before, in Gnome 2.8, when I had the bottom panel set to "Autohiding," and it was in its hiding mode, there would only be a very thin line at the bottom of the screen to indicate that the panel was still there at all. Then when I moved the mouse to the bottom of the screen, the panel would pop up very quickly.

Now, in Gnome 2.10, when the panel is hiding, instead of just being a thin line, it's a much thicker line that shows the tops of all the icons on the panel, and the panel is much slower about unhiding when you move the mouse onto it.

Is there any way to get the panel to hide like it did in 2.8 again? Thanks.

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

You're one more victim of the current trend of Gnome to remove the options one after the other. You can still change the number of pixels you want to see, as well as the animation settings (on/off, speed...) using gconf-editor. But using this application is tricky and I don't remember exactly where it is you have to change the settings (I'm not on Linux right now).

One thing is sure: one more such annoyance from Gnome and I'll switch to KDE, even though I've been a Gnome user for 6 years.

Good luck.

Yves.

I've been a KDE user for a very, very long time, but switched to Gnome after trying it for a week because of its speed and simplicity. KDE has always felt sluggish and cluttered to me. However, I'll certainly take another look once KDE 4 comes out.

I knew you could adjust the size of the panel from its properties window, but I didn't know you could adjust how much of the panel is sticking up when it's hiding. I'll try to track the settings down in gconf.

I really don't think that Gnome has changed the way that these options are configured. I think they just changed the defaults. Either way, it was easy enough to do in gconf-editor.

apps > panel > toplevels > panel_of_your_choice

From there, just change the auto_hide_size value and the hide_delay and unhide_delay values.