Linux on my really old computer

Tuxiscool

On that page:

#  LOAF

http://www.ecks.org/projects/loaf/

Linux On A Floppy (LOAF) is a small yet extensible distribution of the Linux operating system. As the name implies, LOAF generally fits on a single floppy, but is not limited to just one, or floppies at all for that matter. LOAF's "new" [December 2001] intended purpose is a base in which the user can expand to his or her liking. Version 1 was essentially 'ssh on a floppy', as this was its initial raison d'être. As of version 2, however, LOAF is a much more generic distribution, meant to be expanded via packages. It can be a client, it can be a server, it can be a router. The ultimate function of LOAF is completely up to the user.

#  Small Linux

http://www.superant.com/smalllinux/

http://sourceforge.net/projects/smalllinux/

http://freshmeat.net/projects/smalllinux/

A Small Kernel Project; Small Linux has been used (console based) on a 386 laptop with 2 meg of ram and a 40 meg hard drive. Small Linux 0.8.1 is the current version, released December 6, 2001.

Both of those look like you can use Windows to install them from a floppy and then expand them however you need to. Just click on the 'floppy-based' link and I think there may be more that suit your needs.

How can i compile the kernel so that i can install it on my old computer that only has a floppy drive? Its a 386.

Its not about the kernel alone abut also about every binary. Any binary that is optimized for i486 and higher will not run on it. So mandrake (optimized for i586) is out of question. I suggest using redhat because redhat is optimized for i386. Also use the redhat kernel for i386.

No. U have to reformat the partition and/or drive.

what can i do that with?

btw, i edited and compiled the 2.4.19-16 kernel that comes with mdk 9.0 and when its booting on my old computer it comes out with the error 'no coprocessor found and no math emulation present" how can i edit it so that it will work?

No. U have to reformat the partition and/or drive.

what can i do that with?

with fdisk

btw, i edited and compiled the 2.4.19-16 kernel that comes with mdk 9.0 and when its booting on my old computer it comes out with the error 'no coprocessor found and no math emulation present" how can i edit it so that it will work?

First of all, follow both theYinYeti's and Steve Scrimpshire's advices about diskette distros (mini distros). I tested some of them with a couple of old 386 with 'good' results (no miracles, but enough to have a lot of fun).

Second, the kernel alone won't work, you need at least a minimal set of programs to act as an interface to you (for example a minimal shell). Those minimal utilities are provided by those '1 or 2 diskette' distros.

Third, If you insist in compiling your own kernel for that machine you'll need to do it with the right parameters for it, ie: "In the menu Procesor type and features" you'll need at least to select '386-Processor family' and 'math emulation'

And Four, as the ram for a 386 used to be very limited you'll need to build the smaller kernel you can. If not it wont boot, or if it is able, then your sistem will be unusable due a lack of memory. Also related to memory, you'll need a swap partition to assist your limited ram.

Conclussion: If you want to play with a 386 I suggest you to use one of those mini distros and invest some time in doing the installation and configuration of it. Once you'll get practice and you learn which are the minimal needs of a linux system you can remove all the installed stuff and try what you are already trying, an installation from scratch.

Some advices based in my own experience:

- start using one of those 'mini' distros. You can use several at the same time because linux is linux and you might get better results comibining the aplications that they provide.

- Update your sistem with real tools, substituting the minimal-functionality-tools that those distros provide with their real equivalents. That will mean to use old compiled tools (from old version distros such as redhat, slackware, debian...) OR compile them your own optimized for your hardware (notice that you'll need to update many things or use old libraries)

- Finally, compile your own kernel. I suggest you to use one of the 2.2.x series.

HTH and have fun!

PS: if you feel really insane you can try an install (if you find a mirror) of old 'real distros' which had an oprtion of diskette install (Yes! dozens of diskettes introduced one by one)

PSS: There are also 'resque' disks which will just boot your 386 in linux. The tools they provide are even more limited than the ones that provide the 'mini' distros because they are thought to use, in case of need, the already installed tools from the HD they are intended to resque.

with fdisk

where can i get a version of fdisk that will format linux partitions?, since the one with dos doesn't.

btw, when i tried making my own kernel (the second time) with 'make xconfig' when i try to save it, it says this.

ERROR - Attempting to write value for unconfigured variable (CONFIG_MOD_DVB).

ERROR - Attempting to write value for unconfigured variable (CONFIG_QLA).

ERROR - Attempting to write value for unconfigured variable (CONFIG_QLA).

ERROR - Attempting to write value for unconfigured variable (CONFIG_VIDS).

ERROR - Attempting to write value for unconfigured variable (CONFIG_VIDS).

what things do i have to change to fix this?

with fdisk

where can i get a version of fdisk that will format linux partitions?, since the one with dos doesn't.

of course from linux

btw, when i tried making my own kernel (the second time) with 'make xconfig' when i try to save it, it says this.

what things do i have to change to fix this?

If you change a parameter you'll need to be sure that the change doesn't missconfigure other things (remember my advice about using kernels of the 2.2.x series, they would fit better a 386 hardware). Take a look to the tutorials on www.kernelnewbies.org (don't get a wrong impression due to the name of the site, "kernel newbies" is the place for kernel hackers to start)