Where do packages install to?

jofg

~

K

I finally dual booted XP and Mandriva 2006 on my Sager notebook after a good ole fashion reformat, and on my last try before I burned all my Linux CDs, literally.

During Mandriva install, I did not create an Administrator password, I skipped it and only created a username and password.

1. Should I have created an Administrator password?

In Home, there is no usr/ folder.

After install of Mandriva, I discovered how to install other packages by using the Software Management in the Linux Control Center.

I installed ndiswrapper and the Kernel, which is ->

2.6.12-12mdksmp

2. These two are needed to get DLINK AIR DWL 650 wireless adapter to work, it was in the list of Linux compatible adapters, right?

In Konsole, this command is entered to get Kernel version->

uname -r

It displays the version, mentioned above.

Now, in setting up a network, wireless, in the Configure System, I get to the point ->

Use a Windows driver with (ndiswrapper).

3. Now, this info tells me that both ndiswrapper and the Kernel are installed, but where did they install to?

4. To get ndiswrapper to install wireless adapter, it needs to link to the Kernel, right?

5. Would this be the command I enter into Konsole to link ->

ln -s/usr/src/linux2.6.12-12mdksmp/lib/modules/2.6.12-12/build

6. Finally, I can't find usr, src, lib, or modules folders.

Where are they?

Did I need to create an Administrator password at install, if so, how can I create one after install.

The reason I ask, is because I am having trouble 'installing' other 'programs' (POVRAY 3.6).

It seems that they are suppose to install to usr or lib or other folders that are not created, even though it looks like the programs install.

Thanks, New User.

I see penguins everyewhere!

( I tiled those penguins on top, to my Desktop :)

~

To install programs as a root user, you need to type "su" at the prompt, and then install the program.

If you're not prompted for a password, then it's recommended you set one for security. So, after typing "su", type "passwd" and then set a password for your root user account. Never use this to login to the system, always login as your standard user. You cannot write to /usr or anything like that as a regular user, for security. Unlike in Windows, where you are an Administrator by default, which is why Windows has so many security problems.

For installing stuff that needs compiling, you need to install your kernel-source. You can go into Install Software, like you did before, and then search for kernel-source. You can choose the "All" option, and then filter by kernel-source. Make sure it matches your exact kernel installed.

Also, at the top of this page, is a link for easy-urpmi. This is to enable you to update your system and get additional packages, not installed on your system or available on your CD/DVD media.

Oh, and welcome to the board :beer:

re: root password..

there should always be a root password., well, if you skipped the part that you should assign a password for it, the you can just boot on failsafe, can be found in your grub menu upon booting to the specific kernel, then when you have the prompt, you can just do

passwd root

then enter root password

Edited by aioshin

OK

I just created a root password by going to su and typing in passwd.

But there is still no usr or lib, etc folders.

I also reinstalled POVRAY, but now it says no home/usr/lib.... directory.

Is there suppose to be if I had installed Administrator at install of Mandriva?

Did I blow it?

Please don't tell me I have to uninstall and reinstall Mandriva.

I just got this bucket going.

PS

Now, I didn't create an Administrator at install and I set it to Standard, because I don't care about security.

Anybody who wants to install or hack into my system, is OK with me.

I also thought it would be easier for me to install programs at will.

/usr, etc are not on your home directory. The Linux file system is a tree structure starting with /. Software is generally installed in /usr, configuration files in /etc. /home and its subdirectories is for your personal stuff, not system stuff. A major mind switch a person needs to do when coming from Windows is to understand the file structure and permissions. When I first started with Linux I read "Running Linux," an O'Reilly book that I think is quite good, especially in understanding the basic structure of Linux. Hope this is helpful.