Files over 3GB

Guest rsliberty

Guest rsliberty

Hi, I have an automatted process to backup my mysql database... All was working fine for many months until now.

Now the backup file size is well over 2GB, and I get an error message saying "sile size limit" was reached.

The process then halts and no backup is made.

I am running MDK10.1, the srever is remote so I have no access to it other than putty or webmin.

I have a second 120GB hard disk to store all the backups on, which are done (well should be) every 12 hours. So i have the luxury of being able to wipe the disk clean and format and whatever else I need to to try and get this issue resolved.

I have spent many hours experimenting with different file systems including ext3, XFS and FAT32.

Once again I am doing this with webmin or CLI (mkfs). I dont know if i am doing things right... I sure would like to have MCC remotely... but thats another problem all together i guess.

I have two questions....

1 ) Can anyone point my in the right direction to resolve this >2GB file limitation...

From what I can gather either, XFS or ext3 (maybe even rieser) should cater to files greater than 2GB...

I dont know if I am making the partitions correctly... I have read existing posts and tried suggestions outlined in them, but am not having much luck.

2) I have a number of additional "mounts??" shouwing up under /mnt/ such as "hd" and "hd2" so on....

How do I get rid of these??? they are really annoying...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

It's very possible that your problem lies with the backup method rather than the filesystem. Because of limitations in Linux 2.2, 32-bit integers were used to handle file i/o. Linux 2.4 resolved these limitations, but software using 32-bit integers for file i/o still has the 2 GB limit. You can test this by creating a tar file greater than 2 GB.

You can remove anything in /mnt like you would any other directory, as long nothing is actually mounted on those directories.