Amarok cannot connect to Ipod [solved]

diehl

I cannot get Amarok to connect to my Ipod Nano - it says it "cannot find the device". According to the Amarok handbook:

"To use your iPod with the Media Device browser you must have your iPod mounted at /mnt/ipod before starting amaroK."

I am running Amarok 1.3.9 with Mandriva 2006. Madriva auto-mounts the ipod at /mnt/ipod which I can tell because I can browse this directory and see files on the ipod. How come Amarok cannot connect?

Aside: Initially Mandriva auto-mounted the ipod to /mnt/IPOD, but I used DiskDrake to change the mount point. This was slightly tricky, because for unknown reasons DiskDrake kept changing ipod to IPOD when you clicked "ok". I was only able to make the mount point ipod by first typing "iipod" and the backspacing and deleting one "i" and then clicking OK (!).

Another confusing thing about Amarok is that it has a setup panel for commands to mount and unmount the ipod. I don't understand why Amarok asks for this because the handbook states that the ipod should be mounted before you start Amarok.

Another comment/complaint about Amarok is that so far as I can tell it is not possible to configure Amorok to use another mount point besides /mnt/ipod - there is no "preference" for this.

Edited by diehl

• 2 weeks later...

After working with my system a while (actually this was on my son's account), I noticed that the entire KDE window manager was not working right - it was very slow and some functions mysterious did not work.

I figured that something was messed up with the KDE configuration so I just deleted the entire .kde config directory, logged out/in and then KDE worked well, and so did amarok. All the problems I reported went away, and amorok connected with the ipod rather easily.

Edited by diehl